transmission temperature

jauguston

Retired
Reaction score
If you haven't all ready, you might consider a increased capacity, finned cast aluminum trans pan. They add two quarts of ATF and do a good job of radiating heat. I put one from ATI I think that I got from Summit on my C-6. Its behind a turboed 6.9 in a 12,000# motorhome and going up Snoqualmie Pass on I-90 this summer it never got over 140 degrees on my Isspro gauge with the sender in the pan. I think the pan was about $120.00.

Jim

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the monsterbox in my 95 came with an extra cooller and 3/8" braided steel lines.according to the warranty info you are supposed to disconnect the radiator cooler and trash the factory lines and run 3/8" hose from the braided lines to the cooler they supplied.if you run any of the stock tranny cooler system it will void the warranty.i had the stock system hooked up at first till i read the warranty paper workmy temps stayed around 140 all the time.i disconnected it and ran just the stuff they gave me and it was constantly going over 220.i added a stacked plate hayden cooler with 3/8"lines with a fan on it.now i can keep the temps around 140 as long as the fan stays on.but if it goes up at all it wont drop even with the fan on it.

deanj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For what it is worth, I run a 10 x 10 flat plate with a fan (in the front bumper), by passed the factory rad cooler. Temps run 120 - 130 on the freeway (90 + outside air ) 170 in traffic, turn on the fan and it will drop. The temp probe is mounted in the outlet tube (to the cooler) of the trans. If you want more capacity you can use a pan + pick up tube from a 4x4.

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My problem is there is zero room behind the grill. No room behind the bumper cutouts due to the receiver hitch tube. Life would be a lot easier if I had a 92 and up front clip. The week after my truck was painted, the local salvage yard got a PSD in with a nice front clip :confused: