Transmission swap from a "c6" to a "e4od"

Nelson

Reaction score
I have a 1990 ford f350 7.3 diesel flat bed tow truck. I can't go past 65 mph at 3,000 rpm. I decided to change my 3 speed tranny for a E4oD.
Is there an aftermarket computer & harness I can get, and where? Or should I just go with the stock computer & harness? ANY SUGGESTION WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi welcome to OB, I'd suggest you use the SEARCH as this is covered semi regularly here.

Feel free to fill in your information in your signature so we know the details of your truck.

Look at the FAQ and Tech and Hall of Shame sections

Again

Welcome to OB

Al

sassyrel

Reaction score
I have a 1990 ford f350 7.3 diesel flat bed tow truck. I can't go past 65 mph at 3,000 rpm. I decided to change my 3 speed tranny for a E4oD.
Is there an aftermarket computer & harness I can get, and where? Or should I just go with the stock computer & harness? ANY SUGGESTION WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

go with the stock computer and harness..you take it out,,youll know where it goes...88-94 idi truck..both outside the firewall,,and inside...and sensors...and make sure you get a trans,,that has been updated internally...use the stock rad for a auto...and put in a HUGE aftermarket cooler....and im not sure,,if you need the e40d steering column,,for the shift indicator???? it may be,,just the cable,,and the window??? when you complete this..are there any "faster" gears for the rear axle???? as youll have a lower first gear with the e4od....tho at some point,,you may come out of the torque curve for the idi.....and a factory turbo will help cure that!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Nelson

Reaction score
Well i have change the rear axle to a 4:10 10.25 i bout the transmission updated already all i need is the harness and computer one of my budys told me i can go with a aftermarket computer but have looked online dont know wich one to use

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi welcome to OB, I'd suggest you use the SEARCH as this is covered semi regularly here.

Feel free to fill in your information in your signature so we know the details of your truck.

Look at the FAQ and Tech and Hall of Shame sections

Again

Welcome to OB

Al

+1 cb

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
Why?
You could have bought an OD unit for FAR FAR less than you payed for the e40d. And then just simply installed it. Then been done.

done.

no sensors.

no controllers.

just done.

I just do not understand paying the thousands and thousands of dollars for all the gear required to put a reliable tough e40d into a C6 truck. Yes you lose a little milage without the locking TC, and yes it will always produce a little more heat for the same reason. But both the US gear and the Gearvenders OD units are considered bullet proof. Then you're attaching them to A C6. One of history's most bulletproof transmissions. Or for 4-6 times the money, you can install an e40d... and have an e40d, with the e40d controller, the e40d wiring, and the e40d sensors.... which are.... not bulletproof.

I'm sorry, but I just do not understand the thinking behind it.

Revelstoke

Reaction score
I did some research a ways back. Bauman made a good unit, and it is designed for such applications.

gandalf

Reaction score
I have a 1990 ford f350 7.3 diesel flat bed tow truck. ... I decided to change my 3 speed tranny for a E4oD.

Unless I misunderstand what you're saying, you say you have a 1990 F-350 with a 3 speed transmission. That would be a C-6 transmission. The 1990 automatic used an E4OD. If you do indeed have a C-6, then some one changed out an E4OD, and replaced it with a C-6. IF that is the case, you might already have a controller for an E4OD.

The controller would be located behind the kick panel beside your left foot, hiding behind the parking brake. Remove the parking brake mechanism and the kick panel. The controller might be there, simply deactivated.

drinkypoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just do not understand paying the thousands and thousands of dollars for all the gear required to put a reliable tough e40d into a C6 truck. Yes you lose a little milage without the locking TC, and yes it will always produce a little more heat for the same reason.

Sounds like you understand the reason, but don't want to admit it. Probably because you're defensive about having a C6.

But both the US gear and the Gearvenders OD units are considered bullet proof. Then you're attaching them to A C6. One of history's most bulletproof transmissions. Or for 4-6 times the money, you can install an e40d... and have an e40d, with the e40d controller, the e40d wiring, and the e40d sensors.... which are.... not bulletproof.

Can't really complain about the downstream stuff, the VRV isn't the world's most reliable invention either though they certainly outlast the FIPL, those (and TPSes) should really have been optical sensors. But the E40D is based on the C6... And with the parts from 1998 there's no particular reason not to run one that I know of

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
I agree an E4OD with the upgrades and an aftermarket controller is better than a C6 with and OD unit.

Seems to me most of the issues with the E4OD are related to the electronics and ford factory pcm. With an aftermarket controller you pretty much eliminate all of that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online