Transmission rebuild and other questions...

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
Coming up soon i'm going to be swapping engines and rebuilding my transmission. However, I'm not sure where to get parts and I haven't actually done this before.

So the questions are as follows:
Where is a good place to get a T-19 rebuild kit? I know i need bearings.
Where could I find a manual to get me started on the right path?

Other questions:
When i put the 6.9L flywheel on the 7.3L I'm dropping in, do I need to swap the harmonic balancer as well?
Since I'm starting with the engine on the floor, what seals should I replace? I was thinking rear main, valley pan (needs one anyway), and maybe oil cooler (Are the o-rings dealer only?)...
If I need a complete clutch kit, where is a good place to get one, and what brands should i look for? Also, at what thickness should i replace the clutch disk? The throw-out bearing has been making noise for some time so it's getting replaced no matter what...

Are there any other tips or things i'm missing?

Thanks in advance. :)

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
Wayne has the valley pan and oil cooler seals for me (thanks :)), so i still need a rear main seal and answers to the other questions.

(Bump)

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
I've found a few rebuild kits ranging between $100-170. Is there a way i can tell if i have the 20mm or 23mm input bearing without taking the thing apart? I'd like to have all of the parts on hand before i start.

Also, I've never had any trouble putting it in gear, but should I replace the syncros while i've got it apart? Kits with syncros cost a bit more...

Dave 001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are there any other tips or things i'm missing?

Use only American made bearings......I don't care if they cost 100 x's as much. Avoid Chineese bearings like the plague.

Also, I've never had any trouble putting it in gear, but should I replace the syncros while i've got it apart? Kits with syncros cost a bit more...

In my opinion, replacing the bearings but not replacing the syncros in a manual tranmission would be like replacing the bearings but not replacing the clutches in an automatic transmission.

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
Are there any problems with putting a 6.9L flywheel on a 7.3L? I was under the assumption that I could gust bolt it on and go...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RustyNail351