Transmission Lockup

lgettler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I have mentioned before my transmission shift in at out of street driving lockup, plus hwy driving and will not go into cruise control. also the antilock brake light comes on. when this light comes on does it have effect on ths shift problem?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Larry! Good to see you posting. Wish I could tell you, but I've avoided the E4OD like the plague, so I'll have to let somebody who knows what they are talking about answer that one.

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
The cruise problem and Antilock brake light makes me wonder if you have a vacuum issue. Have you checked the vacuum system?

THad

71cc

Reaction score
As I have mentioned before my transmission shift in at out of street driving lockup, plus hwy driving and will not go into cruise control. also the antilock brake light comes on. when this light comes on does it have effect on ths shift problem?

From multiple posts with these symptoms, I am suspect of the speedo input.On some of these trucks there is a speed sensor on the ring gear of the rear axle.It is used by the transmission, and ABS .The cruise control might also be affected by a bad signal.Typically the sensor needs to be removed, and at least cleaned.It is also possible that it is cracked, but semi-functional.Start searching the forum regarding that sensor.

DeadMan

Reaction score
I know this may sound strange, but when I had this problem it ended up being the turn signal switch... both the ABS and trans are wired through it somehow. :rolleyes:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Any chance this lockup and unlock happens when the turn signala are being used??? Mine did only when I turned left. Eziekle posted it was a burned out tail lite. Sure enough it was. Seems the stop lite filament drops into the turn lite filament. Then when to use the turn signal it opens the torque converter circut just like what happens when you lightly touch the brake peddle. It makes the torque converter unlock and the rpms go up around 200 rpm. Just imagine how this feels going down the road or on the freeway and you apply the blinkers to change lanes. Lock.. unlock.... lock.... unlock... Not fun but a real easy fix....:sly