Transmission hesitation...is it serious?

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '87 300D automatic hesitates for two seconds when I shift into gear from a full stop. Other than that, it seems to shift smoothly (no clunks) and runs well. I changed the tranny fluid and filter recently just after I bought it. A tiny bit of muddy residue was in the bottom of the pan, but who knows how long ago the pan had been off. Is the hesitation normal, or should I be doing something about it?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some hesitation's normal, I believe...my tranny hesitates for a second or so before shifting. A full two seconds is a bit unusual, but not unheard of...I know someone with an '87 300D that has the same issue. I believe he's been driving the car that way for quite a while, though, so I don't think it's anything to be alarmed about. I could be mistaken, though...

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK...I will keep an eye on it. I was thinking that maybe the bands might be too loose. I've got more than enough to keep me busy without chasing a tranny issue that might be a red herring.

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went over to visit Towcat yesterday. He and I drove over to Terry's MBZ repair shop. ;Sweet Terry said that the '85 and prior year cars had transmissions that engaged ******* shifting and customers complained about it. On the '86/'87 models, they designed in the hesitation. So, it IS normal for these cars to hesitate on shifting from Park. :D

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good to hear a confirmation on that! :thumbsup:

I can attest to the older M-B's shifting harder...but IMHO that's not necessarily a bad thing. It doesn't shift exceptionally hard IMHO (at least not compared to the C-6 in my old van or the Powerglide in my old Chebby), and firm shifts are good for the clutch packings, eh?