Transmission Help????

Dieselguy123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
My name is Brad and I am brand new to your group. I have a question maybe someone can help me with....Ive got a 91 f-250 2wd 7.3 with the zf 5spd(single mass flywheel).My problem is that My trans is making a growling noise when in neutral and I cannot figure out what it is. I took the transmission out and tore into it and I did find one of the roll pins that hold the shift fork to the shaft in the bottom of the case. NOt sure if this is causing the noise or not, The shift rail that the pin came out of has 2 holding it on and it doesnt appear to be slopppy or anything, I just cant help but wonder why that pin came out....Nothing in the transmission looks to be damaged....no unusual wear or play in the bearings. The gears and sycros appear to be in good shape(but I do have very limited expeirance with the manual transmission Internals...But from what I have read in books and seen in other transmissions everything looks great. So does anyone have any Ideas as to what the problem may be? The growl seems to be loud underneith the truck when it is running, But like I said I have limited expeiriance with these so I am hoping someone else may have encounterd the same problem. (OH yeah,....The truck was bought used and had 80w90 gear lube in it when i changed it....Could that have destroyed somthing? Thanks, I look forward to your suggestions.

Brad T.C. MI

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Sounds like a bearing.Maybe it only does it out of gear due to no load and when it is in gear there is some side load as the gears try to rotate around each other?Got a Ranger like that.But it is pretty much noisy everywhere.Throwout bearing,Shaft bearings,Gears,total junk tranny in those.I would also check the throwout bearing too but doubtful about that since it would growl in gear too(unless you mean Neutral by clutch pressed out of gear).

hugeredford

snow drift buster
Reaction score
If there was only gear oil in the transmission up to the fill hole I think the oil wouldn't flow through the case right and lube the top shaft possibly ruining bearings but if the case was filled way over full there shouldn't be a problem the thick oil won't flow through the case nearly as good atf

wwwabbit

Mmmmm Diesel
Reaction score
Ive got a 91 f-250 2wd 7.3 with the zf 5spd(single mass flywheel).

The single mass flywheels do that. If you get fancy with clutch plates you can get rid of some of it. I have it in my truck as well. My thought might be with the 80w oil that they were trying to hide the noise.... I think there is a clutch plate out there that will help with it.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That would be my guess. They put the 80wt. in there just before you bought it. It would shift way to hard in the cold. Gee, it pains me to say that we probably could have saved you a lot of time if you had come in here and asked first. If the noise goes away around 1000 rpm, then what you have is a normal ZF/SFW combo. Put streight 30Wt. oil in it (2 gallons), and that's about as quite as it is going to get.