Transfer case not shifting into Neutral or 4 Low

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Anyone else had this problem?
It wont go into Neutral, thus it wont go into 4 low.

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
which transfer case is it? if its a np 208 it sounds like its low on fluid, but then again i had a np208 that went low on fluid and would go into neutral then locked itself into 4 low damn junk np208 if only i knew someone close with a divorced 205

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Im not sure what model it is, but I am pretty sure its a BW.
Its in my brothers 94 with a ZF5.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Thats really weird. And it should be a BW 1356 transfer case, but I might be wrong. Do you suppose that somethign is blocking the linkage from moving, ie a rock or somthing?

porscheman87

Reaction score
It should be a BW 1356 transfer case, check the linkage it probably is rusted and will have to be taken apart heated and sprayed with Rust Buster, Liquid wrench or penatrating oil. I had this same problem a week ago with my truck when I had the transmission replaced.

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pull the boot loose inside the truck and squirt some oil on the shifter and then start working it back and forth. Mine dose the same thing, poor design.

Jim

fire & smoke

Reaction score
same problem

had same problem yesterday, lots of gear clashing, shifted trans to neutral, then reversed about 10ft. got into low, then could not get back out. had to shut off engine for a few seconds, allowing spinning gears to stop, then finally got back to 4wd high. this is a part time project truck, have not used 4wd drive in a year, have not checked fluid level either, so can't complain, just wonder if this shifting problem is a common thing?

adrianspeeder

USAF C-17 Avionics
Reaction score
On the '92+ shifters, it is a sealed tube thinger that can lockup with lack of useage. Fix is to remove it and if I remember right it can be taken apart to be lubed.

Adrianspeeder

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online