transfer case help needed. poor favor.

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If he is trying use the double cardan f350 shaft, I don't think you can get or put a conversion u-joint into one of those.

Once you find the yoke you need for the transfer, can you post the part number up? I want to put a f350 double cardan front shaft in my f250, so I need that yoke also. I have done internet searches and ran across some numbers, but I want to make sure they are correct.
Ah, didn't think about it being a double cardon. Don't forget when swapping from a 2 u joint shaft to a double cardon at the t case, you have to shim the leaf spring mounts to point the pinion at the t case yoke. You can not leave it parallel to the t case out put yoke

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you are looking for the shortest transfer case avail for ford, I do have one NP208 that's fitted on the back of a C6 trans for a ford 1ton. Also, there is a "local" driveline source. http://southbay-driveline.com/
ask for "steve".
here are pics of the yoke you will need. i can check with steve if he can get one for you. for reference, the yoke on the right is the one you need.

You must be registered for see images attach

YES! that is exactly what I need! I will give Steve a call on Monday.

BW1356 yoke that will accept the 1.125 x 3.625 u joint with the bolt circle on the caps being 1.625 x 3.300

is there more of a specific name for this?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah, didn't think about it being a double cardon. Don't forget when swapping from a 2 u joint shaft to a double cardon at the t case, you have to shim the leaf spring mounts to point the pinion at the t case yoke. You can not leave it parallel to the t case out put yoke

This truck has had a terrible vibration in the front ever since I bought it. It has a 4 inch lift under it. And it does have a wedge under the driver's side leaf spring. The pumpkin yoke is pointed up, if it was pointed down it looks like the u-joint angle would be way too severe for it to work.

The original shaft was also extended out of the splines a little more than I thought it should be, so I made a shaft 1.5 inches longer, and that helped but it still vibrates. I drove a stock 94 f350 with the double cardan joint, and you could not even tell the hubs were locked in using 2wd.

Don't forget about the part number for the yoke. :)

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This truck has had a terrible vibration in the front ever since I bought it. It has a 4 inch lift under it. And it does have a wedge under the driver's side leaf spring. The pumpkin yoke is pointed up, if it was pointed down it looks like the u-joint angle would be way too severe for it to work.

The original shaft was also extended out of the splines a little more than I thought it should be, so I made a shaft 1.5 inches longer, and that helped but it still vibrates. I drove a stock 94 f350 with the double cardan joint, and you could not even tell the hubs were locked in using 2wd.

Don't forget about the part number for the yoke. :)

If the front drive shaft has 2 u joints and not 3, that is probably where your vibration is coming from. Did you have it balanced after you had the longer splines installed?. The pinion should only be pointed at the t case if it has a double cardon set up. Assuming your truck has 1330 u joints I believe they have around a 20 degree max working angle. Angle finders are cheap, might see what angle you're running. Drive shaft is easy but to find your pinion angle, you can put the gauge on the machined surface for the diff cover and add/subtract 90 degrees.

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
YES! that is exactly what I need! I will give Steve a call on Monday.

BW1356 yoke that will accept the 1.125 x 3.625 u joint with the bolt circle on the caps being 1.625 x 3.300

is there more of a specific name for this?
That is an outside snap ring or locating tab style 1330 u joint I believe

SDEconVan

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope this is on topic. I converted my BW1356 to Powerstroke output flanges front and rear. The two reasons were specific to the 4x4 conversion I did (to a 6.9L idi van.) First the van is lifted 4" and has 14" of front travel using coils. So, the driveline angle can get steep at max droop. Second are the harmonics. The van now has Cardan (CV) joints on both front and rear driveshafts, with the slider at the axle ends of the drive shafts, which makes phase shifts a non-issue, the ride is butter smooth. Anyways, it takes a bit of a budget but I can tell you it is very strong this way and no vibrations.

Last edited:

SDEconVan

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's the front drive shaft at transfer case, at max droop. Doesn't show just how steep the angle is, probably the camera. Second shot is moderate stuff, not on the limiters/bumpers, but you get the idea. Those are 1350's at both the axle ends, so I had to get the right diff yoke on the front, and for now, I am using a hybrid 1330/1350 U-joint on the rear until I put the LS in the rear, then I'll get the 1350 yoke for the rear diff. The slider is near the axle end of the shafts, I had them built with extra slide travel.

Hope this info is useful to somebody!

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I decided to really search hard for this front yoke today. Come to find out, Ford actually had a TSB on this. Apparently some of the f250's had vibration problems when the hubs were in and the transfer was in 2wd. Their solution was to install the f350 double cardan driveshaft in the f250.

They listed all the parts required, several double cardan shafts to fit the different transmissions, and the yokes to fit the 1356 transfer and the 1345 transfer.

Yoke for the 1356 is E7TZ-7B214-C

Yoke for the 1345 is E7TZ-7B214-D

These are good numbers, you get lots of internet hits, but everyone is out of stock. Ford doesn't carry it anymore, and most of the "big" driveline shops can't get it. I started calling around junkyards that had f350 transfer case cores, and finally found one in new York that is going to pull the yoke off one of their transfer cases and send it to me. These things are very hard to get.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, I decided to really search hard for this front yoke today. Come to find out, Ford actually had a TSB on this. Apparently some of the f250's had vibration problems when the hubs were in and the transfer was in 2wd. Their solution was to install the f350 double cardan driveshaft in the f250.

They listed all the parts required, several double cardan shafts to fit the different transmissions, and the yokes to fit the 1356 transfer and the 1345 transfer.

Yoke for the 1356 is E7TZ-7B214-C

Yoke for the 1345 is E7TZ-7B214-D

These are good numbers, you get lots of internet hits, but everyone is out of stock. Ford doesn't carry it anymore, and most of the "big" driveline shops can't get it. I started calling around junkyards that had f350 transfer case cores, and finally found one in new York that is going to pull the yoke off one of their transfer cases and send it to me. These things are very hard to get.
and that is the reason why my D60 changeover kits are pricey :D

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
outstanding.
got it on order.
also purchased a 1350 slip yoke for the rear.
should be a runner in no time, now

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well I bought E7TZ-7B214-C, came in today and its the incorrect one, its got a 1310 u-joint width, and I have a 1350 width, but the caps and the bolt holes match up.

Last edited:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well I bought E7TZ-7B214-C, came in today and its the incorrect one, its got a 1310 u-joint width, and I have a 1350 width, but the caps and the bolt holes match up.
if you front shaft is OEM, I can take my yoke over to Steve's and match one up for you.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that's the problem Calvin, I don't know what this shaft came out of lol, im thinking it came out of the 97 parts truck I got years back, but it fits.
I don't know where my stock driveshaft is. its hiding.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the yoke that fits is on a 4407 transfer.
im not gonna lie, this yoke and u joint mumbo jumbo confuses the hell out of me.
always has.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Staff online