tranny problems

ne buckeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I got back from my 2200 mile trip to ohio and back to nebraska. The truck ran great with no problems ( 75mph @ 2500rpm).Well about 2 days into vacation, I thought it would be fun to take my dads mule over to the farm, pulled it and the trailer about 5 miles and the tranny went to limp mode and shifting hard. I took it to the tranny shop since I was on vacation, they read the code as torque convertor sliping, and throttle position sensor, they replaced the mlp with a new updated one and also the throttle senser, It was fine for about 5 miles then it started flashing the overdrive . Well i decided to drive it home that way. no problems with going down the highway just that first shift is hard as hell and it will lose the gear after it shifts then find it and be fine ,also the overdrive light goes off and it shifts fine sometimes. My question is, should I replace the convertor or is it deeper than that???
:dunno

sassyrel

Reaction score
get it checked for codes again-----to make sure its the tc--if so, make sure you buy a decent one--no need for the expensive ones, as you aint got that much hp. pull trans,put tc in, making sure its indexed all the way in, and put back together--serious. just rem, that trans is slightly heavy!!!!!!!!!!! while the trans is out--would be a good time to replace the rear main seal--but do it correctly, or youll be pissed

Last edited:

ne buckeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey thanks for the post, I been working overtime and have not had it checked yet , but I will today.by the way I will never buy a truck with a automatic ever !!!!!!!!!!

OB_WAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just replaced my "engine speed sensor" when my tranny started having problems causing hard shifting. when I posted up my problem, I got a lot of info, I didn't have the flashing OD light but I wasn't going fast enough for that. Other's stated they had that experience.

check my links in my response to someone else who is having the same symptoms you are.

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=32644

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
i am having the same problems...haven't had it scanned yet, gotta do that tomorrow or saturday. I swear my truck KNOWS when i have saved a little extra $$ lol

sassyrel

Reaction score
ne, nothing wrong with the slime box. the 5 spds have flywheel problems--and that aint cheap either. a prop put together e4od is a good trans. they went thru a bunch of updates--

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
ne, nothing wrong with the slime box. the 5 spds have flywheel problems--and that aint cheap either. a prop put together e4od is a good trans. they went thru a bunch of updates--

Very true. The E4OD gets a bad rap from the little gremlins that pop up:eek:.

Now a built and modified E4OD will take the HP better than the ZF5.:D

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very true. The E4OD gets a bad rap from the little gremlins that pop up:eek:.

what, you mean you have to change the fluid and filter? i didnt know a transmission had a filter.
if i had a dime for every time i have heard a customer say that. usually i ask them if they change there engine oil. and when they say "yes", i say "then how is the transmission any different?"

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Them's fight'n wards:backoff

I got your back trackspeeder:fight:LOL

But the factory torque converters are all time bombs unfortunately. Crap crap crap. Even the aftermarket ones can be a gamble if you don't know what goes into them.

I would almost be tempted to pull the front pump out when changing a torque converter to make all the updates at the same time. All the valves controlling the converter are located in the front pump.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Them's fight'n wards:backoff

I got your back trackspeeder:fight:LOL

But the factory torque converters are all time bombs unfortunately. Crap crap crap. Even the aftermarket ones can be a gamble if you don't know what goes into them.

I would almost be tempted to pull the front pump out when changing a torque converter to make all the updates at the same time. All the valves controlling the converter are located in the front pump.

Sometimes you have to wind up the gear grinders.:rotflmao

The factory converter is best used as a door stopLOL. As for the aftermarket use a company that will stand behind there product. I'm impressed with the X4TC converter from racer x.:thumbsup:

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
Another thing to try is running some Auto Rx through the trans and T-Tec flushing it before dropping the unit. Follow the directions exactly as described on the website. Folks got saved big from spending money on engines, trans and diff replacements.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Another thing to try is running some Auto Rx through the trans and T-Tec flushing it before dropping the unit. Follow the directions exactly as described on the website. Folks got saved big from spending money on engines, trans and diff replacements.

Yup, seriously good stuff. If the problem is caused by gunk clogging up the valve body and assorted parts, that stuff does wonders, but if it is a mechanical failure in the torque converter, it won't help. But many times what appears to be one thing causing the failure is in fact being caused by restricted fluid flow somewhere else in the tranny and a good cleaning can many times take care of the problem.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
what, you mean you have to change the fluid and filter? i didnt know a transmission had a filter.
if i had a dime for every time i have heard a customer say that. usually i ask them if they change there engine oil. and when they say "yes", i say "then how is the transmission any different?"

You get a lot of folks who have bought newer vehicles with a factory maintnence plan and they love to put in their manuals that the tranny fluid never needs to be changed, they do that so the job never has to be done while being paid for under the factory service plan and they know full well the thing will fail in a given period after that, but it's no longer their problem at that point and then they can sell expensive repairs or try to talk the customer into trading in., but the average person now thinks that tranny fluid does not ever need to be changed, and they couldn't be further from the truth.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online