Tranny or torque converter......

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 1999.5 250 superduty 7.3 4wd, 4R100
The trans shifts fine, no slip, no shutter.
I got the truck from my father, he used to let my brother drive it all the time, my brother said the tranny was bad.
When I got it, I took it down the road out of curiosity, and it seemed fine, other than the calipers dragging due to it sitting for three years.
I changed the fluid in it and there were large chunks of metal, along with an excessive about of dust

So out of boredom I took it for a drive
It shifted perfectly through 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gears, but when i stopped at the gas station to check it out, I could hear the torque converter, it sounded like it was full of rocks. Literly.... Sounded really rough, last time i had one that sounded like that, it had multiple broken fins inside.

I'm no auto transmission tech, but my first impression after seeing all the metal was the tranny is shot, but after driving it I dunno.
With large chunks of metal like that in the pan, the truck shouldn't be able to move..... Unless it's all coming from the torque converter...

What do y'all think?

I'm thinking.....
Flush the tranny, install a new torque, and see what happens?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Normally the noise would be a dead giveaway to the tc being bad.
Can always start there. Just flush the cooler really well before install.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I was thinking, I wasn't sure if these trucks were bad about that or what.

Flushing the cooler is going to suck, mainly because there's two of them, but it'll be worth it in the long run

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That wouldn't be a bad idea, espically due to all the gunk that was in it before

Never can be too safe

I just hope this cures it
I know eventually I'm going to have to fork out the big money for another, but I hope I can postpone it for a bit

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your tranny is not shot, but your torque converter is.

The torque converter feeds the oil cooler(s), if there is a Magnafine Filter before the oil coolers your in good shape, probable not since you got metal in the trans. It's always recommended to replace oil coolers if the TC self destructs. You can try and flush them. If the trans fluid goes thru the radiator before the oil coolers, you will have to flush that also.

After you replace the TC, be sure and Get a Magnafine Filter and install it after the coolers in the fluid return line to the tranny. There about $16 from Ford dealer. Auto stores may carry them. Magnafine has a magnet in them to catch any metal.

Normally you wouldn't have to flush the tranny, the filter in there is damn good, but if you do, do it like it is in the IDI Tech Articles. http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?29319-Flushing-a-E4OD-or-4R100

It's not a good thing to have two oil coolers in series, they restrict the oil flow, all the fluid that goes thru them comes out of the TC, the TC fluid is very hot, any restriction causes a loss in volume thru the cooler, all the return fluid is used to cool and lube the trans bearings.

Last edited:

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's an even better idea, the coolers really don't cost that much, espically compaired to the cost of another transmission.
I'll definitely do that.
I know dad had an additional two coolers added. So it may cost a little more to replace them, but still better than the alternative, not to mention I'll be deleting one of them

I'll definitely look into the additional filter with the magnet and install that as well

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You guys answer too fast, I'm a slow hunt and punch typer. I added some to my post above. Read it again.

That's a good idea to eliminate one cooler. I've got the same truck you have, only a F350. I pull a 12600 Lb 5er and only have one cooler. a Tru-Cool rated at 35K IIRC.

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I reread your post, thank you for taking the time to educate me on this
It is a big relief
I still haven't made up my mind on the TC I'm going to use, I've been looking at a DACCO on rockauto but still not sure.
But I'll definitely take your advice

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Being as you have to pull the tranny, you might want to make this Mod to it if you don't have it.

Attachments

• 4R100 bypass.JPG
    4R100 bypass.JPG
    6.7 KB · Views: 70

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
that noise could be the factory installed marbles.
early 99s had a problem witht the clutches, they would rattle and the rattle would go away when the TC locked up

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I neglected to check the TC nuts (6). It cost me a TC and a tranny rebuild in Grand Isle Nebraska. If those nuts come loose, it can actually tear a TC bolt out and the TC will leak like crazy.
The TC would rattle like hell in idle, but would smooth out when running. Put it in Reverse from going forward, that's when it tore the bolt out.

Should have mentioned that before.

Remove the dust cover. Takes a 1/2" or 13mm wrench for the nuts.

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll check that, I don't think the tranny has ever been taken out of the truck though
Other then at the dealer