tranny leaking fluid at cork gasket, shallow or deep?

jlwoods99

Reaction score
So after all the work I've been doing to the truck. Fire it up as I'm flushing the radiator I see the tranny dripping fluid pretty quick, and it hasn't been leaking previously, the cork is crumbling and I tried snugging the bolts but they were tight. So when I called the parts store they asked if I had a deep pan or shallow for filter sizing. Can anyone help me id what I have, approximately how deep are the two pans different from each other. I have a 92 F350 2 whl drive with an E40D. And does anyone have a brand of gasket preference or type?

thanks

Jim

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
That will most likely be a shallow pan and its supposed to be a rubber with steel gasket. Thats what I removed from my trans a few years back. What I found is the deep pans sometimes are refered to as the 4x4 pans and filter setups.

jlwoods99

Reaction score
Gary, all I've been finding are cork or rubber impregnated cork. Do you think that it might be a Ford part?

Thanks!

Jim

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

jlwoods99

Reaction score
Thanks Gary and Oldbull. Question for anyone, in a tech article by oldbull on transmission flush you said it was okay to use the Mercron V and ford had updated it. But you were talking about a 4100R transmission or something close to that:dunno. Anyways it it okay in my E40D.

thanks!

Jim

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Thanks Gary and Oldbull. Question for anyone, in a tech article by oldbull on transmission flush you said it was okay to use the Mercron V and ford had updated it. But you were talking about a 4100R transmission or something close to that:dunno. Anyways it it okay in my E40D.

thanks!

Jim

Mercon V is for all E4OD and 4R100 trannys. Old school Mercon is on its way out the door.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Tony

Members online