tranny leak

DBogo

Reaction score
well i noticed my truck was leaving a little oil spot on my driveway after i woudl drive it so i got underneith and wiped everything off and then drove it and parked it and noticed it was coming from the tranny pan and wasnt oil but ATF its seaping around the tranny pan not alot or enought to worry me but how much of a pain is it to change the gasket on that tranny pan is it somethign that can be accomplished by 2 people in my driveway??

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
Sure it not just a loose pan bolt? My did the same and I had 2 loose bolts, tightened up and John-Boy was a happy camper, it was a Kodak moment.

If that's not it then yes 2 people can get covered in ATF REAL easy hehe. It's not hard just messy.

John

DBogo

Reaction score
i will try tightening them all down if not i will have to replace that gasket

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Changing the gasket on the tranny pan is simple, its a PITA but its simple. Get a large enough container ( I find that a large shallow Rubbermaid container works well) that will contain all the fluid in the pan,start by loosening the rear most bolts in the pan and let fluid start leaking into the catch container, when it quits leaking, loosen a few more bolts working you way towrds the front gradually until you can get 95% of the fluid to drain out of the pan, now drop the pan off and put your new gasket in. You might just as well do filter and new fluid at this point since its such a PITA to drain it.

This of course is assuming that you didnt just have loose pan bolts to begin with. But I know that this truck is fairly new to you so a trans fluid/filter service might be in order just for peace of mind.

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
my 2000 pan came with a drain plug :confused: makes stuff like this a lot easier

i would bet it is just loose because these transmissions come with a rubber reusable gasket that is pretty tough

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
jlayne said:
my 2000 pan came with a drain plug :confused: makes stuff like this a lot easier

Yeah, the 4R100's came with a plug, and for about 25 bux you can go to the Ford dealer and buy a 4R pan and solve the problems of how to drain. But the E4OD's didnt have the drain plug so you have to do it the messy way. I went to NAPA and for 2 or 3 dollars bought a drain plug kit and drilled my pan and installed it on my last fluid change.

DBogo

Reaction score
well i got underneith there yesterday after i put a receiver hitch on and almost every one of them things was loose i didnt tightem them too much because i dont know what they shoudl be torqued to does anyone have the torque specs on them bolts there and is there any cirtain pattern in tightening them i just went all the way around starting from one side but if someone had them torque specs that woudl be helpful

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
10 to 12 ft. lbs. and I dont know if there is a specified pattern, but I personaly would do the corners then one or two on the sides at even spacing intervals, then work your way around in an orderly fasion.

DBogo

Reaction score
well after having it running for a while when i parked it its still seeping a little bit not enought to cause a problem but its leaving a little spot on my driveway