TRAILER WANTED.

DmaxEter

Meet Mike Hawk
Reaction score
I need a gooseneck trailer bad. Something in the 12,000lb plus capacity range. I need to purchase a trailer before I purchase a tractor.
If anyone knows where I can pick one up that needs work or whatever let me know. I love to work on trailers and dont mind a fixer upper.
Thanks.

rip van sparky

Reaction score
Hi, what is your preferred price range? Near where I just picked up my engine there is a tri-axle gooseneck. It is home made but appears to be a good job. On house trailer axles so GVW is 21500, 20' deck (wood), ramps. They are asking 1800 but could probably be gotten for 15 or 1600. PM me for their number if interested. It is near Caldwell, OH. I am moving to Columbus MS in a couple of weeks so could drag it down there for you.

I am also in the market for a long (30-35') tri-axle or tandem dual gooseneck that is priced reasonably, looking to buy in 6-8 weeks.

Last edited:

DmaxEter

Meet Mike Hawk
Reaction score
Thanks so much Rip. I am still kinda leary of the trailer house axles and I need at least 25 foot. I dont know why, but you see GN trailers sitting around down here everywhere, but no one wants to sell them. If I run across something like you described I will let you know. Thanks for the find though.
Maybe Trailer house axles arent that bad? I just dont like the wheel and hub setup. Like an old Dayton wheel. What do you think about them?

rip van sparky

Reaction score
I think that they are pretty good. I have a homemade tri-axle tag we used to pull all over the place and we never had any problems. There is definitely one drawback, we could never seem to get the brakes to work very well. We rebuilt them and had a new controller but still didn't have much luck. The guy that owned the trailer I mentioned said he couldn't get the brakes to lock up but that they did slow his truck down noticably. I had a factory totem-all bobcat trailer with dayton style axles, I asked our local trailer dealer/repair shop about them, he said that up untill the 80's that mobile homes used regular trailer axles, then they started using cheap axles due to cost. He said old house trailer axles are just as good as regular trailer axles but steer away from newer ones. The rims were the same so it was a piece of cake to find spares, I have yet to find a spare rim for my gooseneck which has 8 lug rims. As for as changing tires theres not much difference, they just don't look modern.

It would be great to find a trailer down there that I could go through while waiting to move my family down in June after the kids get out of school.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online