trade idi for psd??

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get a kick at how stuck some of you guys are in the past, PSD stuff isn't that epensive anymore, I can get a set of stock rebuilt, or stage 1 injectors for 500 now, and a DIY rebuild/upgrade kit is in the $250 range. The CPS is a $20 part now... Yes the IDM and PCM aren't cheap, but those don't fail often.
A good IDI pump and injectors is more than a set of injectors for a stroker now, and the PSD stuff lasts much longer.
In all seriousness a 7.3 PSD is getting to the point of being no more expensive on maintenance than an IDI. The are OLD, proven technology now, just like the IDI's.

Where are you finding injectors that cheap? I was looking for some awhile back for a friend and i couldn't find a set of stock replacements for under 900.

George D.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Um thats wierd sure would like to live in fantasy world where powerstroke injectors were that cheap. oh and 500 is not cheaper than 400 and lets see HP oil pump and injector hm now if and its a big if you got the injectors for 500 you are almost at a grand.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That $500 number is for rebuilds, but I paid more than that for the rebuilt injectors that are in my 6.9 in 05...
If you are going for stock and reliable to keep the comparison fair with what most users do with an IDI, a HP pump is not a common failure, for the most part they get upgraded to handle larger than stock injectors, not replaced due to failure.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I paid under 300 for brand new injectors and o rings copper washers and return lines, so psd is cheaper than idicookoo thats not going to happen you wont make me beilieve that, not when TYP4 offers great built injectors for right at 300 dollars

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Add an IP to the cost to keep the comparsion fair, because an injector replacement on a psd is a complete renewal of the fuel system.

Just a bunch of POWERSTROKE haters on the idi forum, never gonna change that. Thats why they all have idis

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Just a bunch of POWERSTROKE haters on the idi forum, never gonna change that. Thats why they all have idis

That's a little far my friend. Even though psd parts are coming down in price, I still gotta think that IDI's are a little more user friendly and a little less expensive. A couple less parts to fail, electronics. I do think it's starting to even out though.

George D.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so I looked around on the net I can get brand spanking new injectors for my truck for $18 a piece the cheapest I found PS incetors is 140 a piece and you have to ship them your injectors and wait for them to rebuild it if you get injectors you can pop in then send yours back its 50 bucks a pop core charge. did find some Ebay ones for 100 a piece still more than 18 though. Go post a thread asking if you should go powerstroke or IDI in a PS form and they will tell you parts are cheaper for the IDI.

When I did injectors in my truck I got them overnighted and got an install kit for under $300 VS so still cheaper than the 500 dollar ps injectors that if that price is real would almost certanly mean they rebuild your injectors and give them back to you So I can have my IDI running the next day for less money.

Why does every one insist you need to change the IP everytime you do injectors you don't I never do and haven't had a problem.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
The difference is our IP which is costly. basically injectors and HPOP (which hardly ever fail) has to compared to injectors and IP for the IDI to make it fair.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
All i can say for you guys that insist that idi's are cheaper than powerstokes. In the 5, yes 5 powerstrokes i have owned totaling close to 500,000 miles. Between them all and the ONE idi that i own now and only put 10k on it . I HAVE SPENT LESS ON THE 5 POWERSTROKES COMBINED A THAN JUST THIS ONE IDI. I realize every truck is different, but this is my results

George D.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I messed Up shoulda looked up the IDI stuff pricess went up a bit from when I did mine its 32 and injector for the IDI and turbo pumps are about 555 so for under 900 bucks you have a brand new fule system wich is less than you can get a set of injector for a PS.

Diesel brad you must of had some bad luck with that IDI or realy good luck with the powerstrokes I had to replace a set of injectors and had cavitation destroy my block and have under 1,000 in it unless you count the E4OD I had to put in but I don't consider that relavent since they use the same trans behind powerstrokes and mine lasted a long long time for either one.

I could if I wanted to even justify to myself that the 6.9 I got was free and I paid for the alison 545 I got with it since what I paid was dirt cheap for both.

George D.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The difference is our IP which is costly. basically injectors and HPOP (which hardly ever fail) has to compared to injectors and IP for the IDI to make it fair.

If you think about what the IP does on are trucks it is the equivelent of the HP oil pump almost all sensors IDI and ecm on a powerstoke and only cost 555 for the turbo pump. Yes thouse parts on the powerstroke don't go bad as often as an IP but if you think about what the IP does for us it isn't all that expensive.

Thinking about replacing my IP just because. I already replaced about everything that can go bad on my truck injectors engine trans get a new IP and rebuild my turbo and mechanicly I got a brand new truck and the only thing that hurt was the trans but hell I got a 3yr warranty.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
i have done nothing other than change oil and filters on my powerstrokes. One or two cam position sensors but they were a paid for recall

My idi i have done injectors, pump, return lines and cups twice, fuel pump, fuel lines, vacume pump(not really engine fault) complete GP system swithched to 7.3 system , various oil leaks and i am sure there is more things i cant think of.

That is why i am putting a powerstroke in my 86 on top of the complete lack of power.But like i said, every truck is different

12vctd

Reaction score
Can someone link me these cheap psd injectors, are they a complete injector or just tip's. I do alot of work on the PSD for people and always like to find better deals for my customers. I am sorry that people want to gripe since I belive I was the first int he thread to state the higher cost of the injectors. I like a PSD I liek the idi they are two totally diff animals. People should drive what they want and enjoy, if someone has owned 5 psd and they are the best thing then sliced bread I ask why buy a idi and dump so much money into it? The only thing I recomend to any PSD owner is to upgrade the fueling system so your not using a dead head system, makes your injectors so happy and truck starts and runs alot better. Again great thing is you can always buy what you want and be happy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online