TPS Question

rpm427

1994 F-350 IDI
Reaction score
Did Ford or Motorcraft rebag the defective black TPS that the service bulletin said not to use on our 7.3 IDI's or something new?Bought one with correct part number and it's tagged as a F2TZ-9B989-C and the TPS is black not grey like later part number was suppose to be.The bulletin said replace with grey TPS so can anyone shed light on subject?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Either take it back or run what you have hopefully its better than whats on the rig now. Why are you replacing it. If you have not replaced one before there is a correct way of doing this. When you remove the one on the throttle shaft now look at the rusty wear marks on the drive side. Just make sure you install the new one the same way. What you do is kind of set it in place and then wind it up so the screws or bolts will fit thru the body to the bracket. Then set it for 1.2 volts at idle throttle on a warmed up engine. Its called koeo. Key on engine off.

rpm427

1994 F-350 IDI
Reaction score
Just got done putting new IP,injectors,glow plugs etc. and Mel suggested the TPS be changed also as truck has over 60,000 miles.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah don't worry about the color of the current fipl/tps's nowadays.current color's no longer reflect the poor ones from back in the day.no doubt they've all long since been revised.

rpm427

1994 F-350 IDI
Reaction score
How do you test wire voltage behind the connections of TPS as I'm missing something here?

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
stick the probe right in by the wire and wiggle until you get a reading.if no luck,try a paperclip;
attachment.php

https://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?4134-Whats-a-FIPL

lets go pats! ;Sweet

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
When using a paper clip just be sure you are checking voltage on the center wire of the three wires going to the switch. Its the idle voltage setting you want to set. Not much if anything can be done with the high voltage setting. It will be what it will be basec on the idle setting. The voltage for this etting is .96 for a very soft shift to 1.2 for a firmer shift.

whitehorse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rock auto shows a black one and grey one...the grey one being cheaper... that's where I'm gonna get one...

rpm427

1994 F-350 IDI
Reaction score
Got the TPS set at 1.21 and drove truck and shifts OK but nothing nice and firm.

Last edited:

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
I'm assuming that your Talking about a Throttle position sensor? Thought only Newer Trucks had this

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Both the IDI and the PSD have a so called TPS. The IDI TPS feeds the EEC for shifting the E4OD. The PSD TPS feeds the PCM, for driving what is called, "driving by wire", there is no direct connection to the throttle like the IDI (IP).

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Both the IDI and the PSD have a so called TPS. The IDI TPS feeds the EEC for shifting the E4OD. The PSD TPS feeds the PCM, for driving what is called, "driving by wire", there is no direct connection to the throttle like the IDI (IP).

Thanks for clearing that up. ;Sweet

rpm427

1994 F-350 IDI
Reaction score
The 1.2 setting is OK for regular shifting but I reset my TPS to 1.3 and shifts feel nice and firm like I like them but not neck breaking thou!...Just thought I would pass that on as I just got done rebuilding IP,injectors,glow plugs,new TPS and putting bigger trans cooler on truck.

Last edited:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The best of digital VOM's are not that accurate, 0ne tenth volt is very little, and a meter can be off by a couple of tenth's depending on what scale your using. Just FYI. Anyhow ya got er where ya want er.