Towing at high altitude issue?

meyer743

Reaction score
Morning. Looking at a '92 7.3, crew cab, 4x4, with 240k miles. The owner is saying the only problem with the truck is that when pulling at high altitudes it smokes like crazy. Again, says its only an issue when in tow at higher altitudes (like Colorado). Wondering why this would be and if i should be concerned?

Appreciate all the help!

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Since it has no turbo, it only has atmospheric pressurized air to burn. At higher altitude, the air is less dense, less O2, but the same amount of fuel = smoking.

Its fine, just gotta be a little easier on the throttle. They did sell factory high altitude IDI's, they were just detuned so as not to run into EGT's problems due to the lack of O2.

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in Colorado. I have seen A LOT of these running around here. Yes the air is "thinner" but I haven't really noticed tons of black smoke from them, even the ones with Kali, Texas, ect.. plates on them. Running around in Ohio I wouldn't worry one bit about it. If you plan on doing a lot of hill climbing throwing a turbo on would pretty much eliminate all the smoke, though your still going to see some, that's just the nature of a non electric controlled engine. Mine has a turbo and I can still get it to smoke some black with the right pedal/brake interaction.....

hoodshauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since there is no computer it cant adjust itself. Here colorado theses trucks will definitely smoke the higher you get especially N/A motors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

meyer743

Reaction score
all good stuff. feeling more comfortable about the truck. trying to take a look this weekend and go from there. Appreciate all the help

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny thing is they just passed a law making "rolling coal" illegal here. All these guys that chip their trucks to make it smoke more can now get a ticket for it.

So if I pull my turbo and smoke out an intersection taking off hard I can now get a ticket for rolling coal.....

So a word of warning for anyone passin through Colorado with a low altitude tune go easy and don't smoke out any of the tree huggers or you'll be paying the fuzzes salaries.....

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Funny thing is they just passed a law making "rolling coal" illegal here. All these guys that chip their trucks to make it smoke more can now get a ticket for it.

So if I pull my turbo and smoke out an intersection taking off hard I can now get a ticket for rolling coal.....

So a word of warning for anyone passin through Colorado with a low altitude tune go easy and don't smoke out any of the tree huggers or you'll be paying the fuzzes salaries.....
Legalize one smoke and criminalize another...

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in Colorado. I have seen A LOT of these running around here. Yes the air is "thinner" but I haven't really noticed tons of black smoke from them, even the ones with Kali, Texas, ect.. plates on them. .

Whenever I get above 8000 ft, my IDI smokes (both pre-turbo and with turbo). I live at a few feet above sea level, so I have it tuned to 0 ft. But if a person lived in Colorado, having it tuned to 5000+ft would likely reduce or eliminate coal rolling, hence the reason why you don't commonly see it.

As for the OP, I wouldn't worry about coal rolling at high altitude if you are passing thru. If you have a pyro, you just keep her under 1200 deg F. If not, then it's not shameful to creep up the mountain at 45mph. All that matters is it makes it to the top, not how fast.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online