....Towing a big trailer down too my buddies property...

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I think the guy with the big truck just didn't want to chance not making it back up the Hill. .

Chances are he bowed out due to the soft dirt and the hill. If that thing is hooking up to a bumper hitch, which they usually are, those things have a real bad habit of making the front end go light, and in those conditions, wind up loosing steering in a downhill push. He knew that he'd probably end up having to call for a Cat to pull him back out of it, and then let the Cat drag the dang thing.
down anyway.
Anytime they have to move one of those big office trailers of mobil homes into soft dirt or mud in those conditions, they will only let the toter go in so far and the rest of the way it will be hung off either a crawler or a VERY large 4wd tractor and sometimes more than one depending on conditions.

berniesouthunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey there guys, got alott of pics, trying to upload them tonight, no cell service or email up there. Well I got the trailer down the moutain safe. Took a couple of stops on some flatter land to lett the brakes cool. When I had that Truck and trailer in 4 low it seemed to want to go faster than I did so I just took it down out of gear even when I had it in 1st it wanted to go alil too fast. I was very surprised at the ole girl, she did awsome. I had to put her in reverse a couple of times too relocate and she could back right up the hill. The trailer wasn't quiet as big as I remembered it being. 26 foot and only double axle. I think I got a couple of good vids too. Pretty rough and steep terain. Sorry about spelling here I cut the heck out of my finger abalone diving this morning and won't stop bleeding. All and all I was impresed with the truck and happy I made it safe. When we got the trailer down we had to use a highlift jack and a winch to move the trailer about a foot at a time sideways, about 8 feet total, it was a show of power between the truck a jack and a hand winch. Well I am ready for a long nights sleep. Thanks to all. B And I will get the pics as promised. Thanks again for all the help this site and you guys have to offer.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
X 2. A heavy trailer with no brakes going down a steep dirt grade can be a problem. If you loose traction at all, that sucker will push you where ever it wants. Why in the world would you have a trailer that heavy without trailer brakes? Not the idea setup. Be VERY careful with that sucker.

Heath

It's just like a small mobile home. I used to haul them all over when I worked for the towing company in Halifax. They are meant to be moved like once or twice every couple of years. lol.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You took it out of gear?;Really:eek: Wish I never had read that, gonna have nightmares about it now.:Whatever::shocked:

berniesouthunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
She would not stop with it in gear 4 low, she just wanted to learch foreward and overpower my brakes. I did lett the alot of the air out of the trailer tires to help slow me down a bit. Worst comes to worst there was a big pile of brush and a huge oak tree I would of aimed for. If I did start to loose it, I would of put her back in gear. I was hopeing to just leave it in 4 low and 1st and use enjine braking but it was trying to go a bit too fast for me. I took a couple of test hills before I did the big one, and they went smooth, so I went for it. If I ever had to do something like this again trailer brakes are a must. I must say I was a bit white knuckled driving down.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dude! Scarey story, but I certainly glad to hear you and your rig can away unscathed. Can't wait for some photos!

Heath

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Please don't feel this comment is directed only to you. When a person comes here asking for advice. and then gets clear... good advice. Then doesn't use that advice... I wonder what they needed to understand the hazard of their trip or method... Truely all that have tried to help are happy your down hill trip was sucessfull but..... You were lucky.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online