Tow and Haul RV transporter build

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help today GEO, Much appreciated;Sweet

Went out last night and splurged and bought LED lights for the truck. Tail lights are now the 27 LEd oval lights and marker lights have 9 LEDs each and boy are they bright. If you can't see me hit the brakes you are blind.
You must be registered for see images attach

Let me light up my tail lights for you. In case somebody might have trouble seeing just 2, I installed 6

Now if you are having trouble seeing those 6, let me tap the brake pedal for you. If you can't see me now, you need to turn in your drivers license and sell your vehicle.

Yes these are DOT approved and legal lights.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Those lights are just plain purdy;Sweet
I've been out of the game for a lot of years, in jerk states like CA and MN at the inspection stations , if one of those little tiny led bulbs is out, can they fine you? I know both those states used to fine you if one bulb was out on any multi bulb standard marker light fixture.

Freightrain

Just "B" it........
Reaction score
Looks like the rear of my B model. Four 4" LED rounds let everyone know I'm slowing down.

The LED's I like are the sequential turn arrows(>>>>>). I have a pair on the front bumper of the truck. Saw them the first time on buddys truck and knew I had to have some.

Great work so far............am wait'n with bait'd breath for VIDEO!!

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
tonkadoctor said:
Thanks for the help today GEO, Much appreciated

ANYTIME Mike ;Sweet

Sleeper is secure to frame and cab...and weather tight too!
Got Mike liking a product called "VICOR"...it's self sealing flex membrane used mainly for flashing but Ol' Tonka found some more uses :thumbsup:

Would have liked to see that going down the road on such a nice day :D

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Lookin' good Mike. I have the LED Line of Fire strip lights on my 97 and the LED third brake lights and MAN they let who ever is behind you what's going on.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thumbody say VICOR:D Works great, just don't try to smooth it out with a heat gun, makes holes:eek:

Spent about 1/2 the day on the phone with both the NC Motor Carrier enforcement working out the location of my ICC lights to stay out of trouble and Milemarker winch trying to figure out the wireless remote which turned out to be fried by the PO.... as well as the fried thermal reset on the winch motor itself.

Finally got the ICC lights mounted and legal and got the winch working now but one change I made on my center rail has my cable alignment goofed up so all the cable wants to load on one end, OOPS. Need to get a snatch block up where I originally intended to route the cable to correct this.

No pics today, used up my camera time throwing wrenches.-cuss

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, I'll play nice, here's the pics.

Regs call for 3 identification marker lights on trucks and trailers over 80" wide. The center light needs to be as close to the center of the vehicle as possible and the ones on each side must be not less than 6" or more than 12" from the center to center of each light AND must be evenly spaced.

My problem is I forgot to make room for the ICC lights, the 7 way plug being close to the stinger was killing the distance I needed to keep between lights, I really didn't want an asymetrical look, I had to remove the bracket I originally made for the light for the stingers 2" receiver and I need to place them where they won't be torn off using the ramps as well as be visible when not towing a trailer.

I was considering putting them on the sleeper like on a pole truck but I would need to get a ruling from the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration or risk a ticket on this unique specialty carrier.

Solution, skinney lights LOL. by mounting the lights vertically vs horizontally the distance from the edge to the center of the light is 1/4" vs 2" drasticly reducing the amount of space I need to mount them.

BTW, did get the 7 pin connector wired and installed too.

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
Solution, skinney lights LOL. by mounting the lights vertically vs horizontally the distance from the edge to the center of the light is 1/4" vs 2" drasticly reducing the amount of space I need to mount them
Wanna do my taxes for me? ;Sweet ;Really

maniac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been out of the game for a lot of years, in jerk states like CA and MN at the inspection stations , if one of those little tiny led bulbs is out, can they fine you?

Has to be more than 70% of the diodes out, CHP told me, I have l.e.d.s with 9 diodes and had one light with 3 out, and they said it was right on the borderline, I popped in a spare as kind of a brown nose gesture hoping they would see me a dilligent, safety concious truck driver............it worked;Sweet

Never been bothered anywhere else.

I don't run them on my trailer in the winter because they don't heat up and will ice over, no matter how bright they are you can't see them and nobody else can when they ice up, you will notice a lot of large fleets don't run l.e.d.s on the rear anymore either.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Much accomplished today. Sleeper and cab interior are done.

Nice 8" thick 32" x 80" inner spring mattress

It is a sit in bunk. No climbing through the back window or steps to an outside door like is common on pickup cabs like this.

Mocking up the perfect seat height with some 1x3 lumber, 3" is just right for me. This cab is too short for the standard air ride that came on these Peterbilt seats. This particular seat is a Bostrom Talledega LSO, it's comfy. I do have the matching passenger seat but I'm not putting in a second seat, I want the extra space.

New seat base is made from 2 pieces of 1-1/2" angle iron.

It's all painted up and installed now, burned up all the daylight today from dawn to dusk to Git-R-Dun and my Blackberry doesn't take good pics at night.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Dang Mike, sleeper trim lookingoomaing! ;Sweet
I like the way you trimmed out that funny spot at the bottom!

No pass seat?....wonder if that other one will fit my Polaris :rotflmao

Freightrain

Just "B" it........
Reaction score
Interior is looking pretty good.

Got me one of those LSO seats about a month ago:

It was on the junk table at Summit Racing. The price was RIGHT!! $40. Brand new, never installed. Needs the dust swept off from sitting around a warehouse.

Won't fit in the B model with the tall mount, but will be working on it when the weather breaks. Right now it's a real comfy garage seat, all aired up and works nice.

VanBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those LED's look good! I've gotta set on a semi trailer. And boy, they do make a difference .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726