Tow and Haul RV transporter build

VanBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
300 gallons and 5.9L, that should last a while! Looks great!

Once someone told me that one of the big truck manufactures had their own frame width. I think it was Freightliner (I think). Like you said, it's suppose to be 34", but they went off and did their own thing.

Most big truck fuel systems are usually 'inline'. Both tanks get drawn from so 1/2 tank is 1/2 tank.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
300 gallons and 5.9L, that should last a while! Looks great!

Once someone told me that one of the big truck manufactures had their own frame width. I think it was Freightliner (I think). Like you said, it's suppose to be 34", but they went off and did their own thing.

Most big truck fuel systems are usually 'inline'. Both tanks get drawn from so 1/2 tank is 1/2 tank.

That wouldn't make any sense from a manufacturing standpoint. They have to buy all the componants like 5th wheels , headache racks, deck plates, etc from the same suppliers as everyone else. If they changed frame dimensions, they would shoot themself in the foot.

Most big truck fuel tank systems have a crossover line at the bottom equilizing the tank levels , where the fuel draws off one tank only and the equilizer line keeps the tanks even. A lot of times they draw from one tank and return to the other to keep warmed fuel flowing through the system in winter( for all the good it does as slow as it's flowing)

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks sweet, will they be switched or inline?;Sweet

Equiflow, draws and returns to both tanks at the same time. No crossover. There is a T fitting that has check valves in them to even out the flow to both tanks.

The crossover line has gone the way of the Dodo bird. These tanks don't even have a provision to mount one.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Second tank is installed and winch is mounted. All that is left is plumb the fuel lines and put the center channel back on the truck.

You must be registered for see images attach

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mike, will carrying 2400 lb of fuel hurt your mpg much?

I'm only adding about 1600 lbs over what I had. No, a few thousand lbs has little effect on economy, aerodynamics affects fuel economy a lot, especially if you have a head wind or cross wind.

This truck is a stepping stone, next truck will be slippery.

Think along the lines of a Sterling Acterra with a Ford 42" Aerobullit sleeper, full side skirting, completely plated deck and extended fairings that go back 3' boxing in the nose of the trailer on top of the deck so it is aerodynamicly in sync with the power unit.

I am getting 6 - 9 mpg loaded and 13 empty with this truck, I don't think 10 loaded and 15 empty are far off :sly

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow as others have said....I just now found this thread (well a few hours ago:D) and it reads like a novel!! LOL Awesome job!! ;Sweet That's gotta be one of the coolest things I've seen! I wish i knew half of what you've probably forgotten and I could tackle most anything! :D Of course I'm sure having Geo close is really helpful too! :thumbsup:

spg

Big Red
Reaction score
Have you ever done anything with the swap from the Allison automatic to the manual transmission yet?

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, tonkadoctor! :hail

I just spent a couple of hours reading your novel of a build. Nice work. ;Sweet

What's the latest?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member