Tow and Haul RV transporter build

VanBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Happy Hauling!

At least the RV manufacturers are selling. Our two old local RV makers went T/U some time ago. One of them was Trail Wagons if I recall the name (I don't pay attention). A new manufactuer just opened (or maybe one of the ones that closed... not sure).

So, have you run across anyone w/ a towing/transport system like yours yet?

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
I saw one of Mike's type truck running across the PA greenstamp on Sunday. It was 4700 IH with one on the deck and one on the stinger.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are many trucks that do this, but we are in very high demand as we make up only about 1/2 a percent of the fleet of contractors that transports RVs.

Our company has 6 haul and tow trucks, mine is the largest.:D I can load a trailer that is 6" taller and 3 ft longer than the next largest truck we have,,,,, and am the only one that can pull gooseneck and 5th wheel with a haul and tow truck here.Competition.... I have little ;Sweet

And of the 6 of us I am one of the of 4 that can run Canada and they are selling these small trailers in BC and Alberta faster than we can get them there.:sly

VanBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen any RV transporters that are using a set up like your truck in my area. Usually I just see a 1 ton pickup dually moving them. And the only way I know they are transporters is they have their name and DOT info on the side of the door/truck.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Thanks, I appreciate the offer but I already bought a complete engine out of a Ford bread truck minus the IP w/ 90k miles on it with an Eaton 5 speed for $1800. Everything looks like new. Will get it picked up around the 1st of next month.

What are You doing with the tranny, I thought You wanted a 9spd next.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let the games begin..... Can you guess what I'm doing this time..... HINT, it ain't the tranny.
You must be registered for see images attach

Have the whole front of the truck ripped apart again for the 3rd time since March.... I am over this @#$% and quite fed up with it. Tired of chasing oil leaks and don't want to even mess with just replacing the cracked head the machine shop didn't find or fix the first time so I'm swapping in a low mile Reviva Reman longblock engine that was in a bread truck.

I'm replacing both the front and rear main seals as well as having the injection pump timed before I slap it into the truck.

Engine is about 1 hr from coming out of the truck all that is left to do is disconnect the fuel lines, disconnect the starter wiring, remove the throttle cable and take out the last 2 bolts from the tranny.

New engine on standby stripped to the longblock waiting for the goodies from the old engine. New Rear main seal already installed.

MMeier

Reaction score
Looks like way too much work to me !:eek: So, is it going to be worth it, have rates come up any?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like way too much work to me !:eek: So, is it going to be worth it, have rates come up any?
I've been doing it for years with my towtrucks. before I started my own company, I did it for my uncle for his towing company. It's work no doubt, but when every penny counts, it's worth it when it's done and running right.
I've been there with Tonka, put in a motor you put money into the machining and have it turn out sour.....pretty demoralizing feeling.
prolly why I buy complete running trucks and test out the motor before pulling;Sweet
I don't work/own a engine machine shop anymore to do the work, so it's used motors in the meantime.:eek:

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rates have stopped dropping like a rock for now. Right now I'm holding my own, ain't getting ahead but staying afloat unlike many others. Right now it's a choice of saying screw it and go under or fix it and keep trying to make a buck and stay afloat and hopefully, eventually move on to a nicer more capable truck someday.

Also was able to throw GEO a small bone this time which helps him a bit while he is still job hunting so it's very worth it too me. Sure wish I could do a lot more for him right now as friends like him are extreeeeeeeemely rare and his isn't the first time he's helped me like this. (what I really wanted to do was drop a roll of Benjamin Franklins in his lap, drop off the engine and the truck at his house and say "fix it, ya got a week to do it" while I was up in Michigan last week for a memorial service but current finances won't allow that.)

Anywho,,,, the engine is out and most parts are now swapped to the new heart of the beast. Will be up early and finish swapping a couple more parts before picking up GEO so he can help me stab the new engine into place.

Engine out yesterday.

Side by side for the parts transplant.

Can anybody guess what I am doing to the Injection pump here

Installing a #6 Torque plate and turbo boost fitting in the Injection pump that should push this little 160 hp 400 TQ engine with a 190 hp injection pump up to about 230 HP and 605 TQ :Q......... It's either gonna run like I want or die trying.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are you going to do with the old motor?

Keep it for spare parts right now...... The way things have been going for me this year, I'll prolly have to rebuild it and drop it back in in a few months-cuss

I won't be selling it or parting it out until I build my next truck which I'm about 99.9% certain be a Freightliner FLA, FLB or Argosy class 8 cabover with a Series 60 Detroit in it.

Here's a sample of a few trucks I am considering buying. All have Detroit 12.7's in them.

The white FLB and the green FLA already have the correct wheelbase once I single out the tandems so no frame mods are needed other than extend the rear of the frame 4' - 6' for the beavertail.

The Argosy's although they are extreemely nice trucks and very roomy inside will cost me twice as much to build with much higher purchase prices and needing a frame stretch.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7