Totaled my truck

89ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you buy it back it looks like it's fixable but then again I think about anythings fixable anymore....

Kilted Celt

Diesel noob
Reaction score
So I got a call from my claims adjuster tonight. She told me it is a total loss and that she is awaiting the dollar amount from the third party service that will determine what they will give me for it.

The total dollar amount quoted so far to fix it up is around $5,600, and doesn't list the bent sway bars or anything else structurally damaged. Nor does it mention anything wrong with the motor or drive train.

Assuming that all this is cosmetic then I'm all for keeping the truck and fix it back up.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I got a call from my claims adjuster tonight. She told me it is a total loss and that she is awaiting the dollar amount from the third party service that will determine what they will give me for it.

The total dollar amount quoted so far to fix it up is around $5,600, and doesn't list the bent sway bars or anything else structurally damaged. Nor does it mention anything wrong with the motor or drive train.

Assuming that all this is cosmetic then I'm all for keeping the truck and fix it back up.
any reccolection on how long it stayed running after it go flipped over?

Kilted Celt

Diesel noob
Reaction score
any reccolection on how long it stayed running after it go flipped over?

I reached up and turned the motor off when I saw white smoke coming out the tail pipe in the side mirror. This was maybe a minute or two when my head cleared up.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
did you hear any knocking? i had a feeling you were "out" i see blood on the roof of the truck.
i have a '86 2wd CC dually chassis missing engine, trans and wiring harness. it's yours if you can use it. the rear end will need rebuilding.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
gary-
that's a very risky move on winding mountain roads. also, for that move to work, the person doing the bumping needs to be heavier than the target.

Well, yes and no. Look at the police doing a PIT. there is NO WAY that cruiser is heavier than say a 1 ton dually, even with the gear packed in the car.

I have seen 1 ton 4x4 diesel duallies get pitted before by a Crown Vic. You get the nose of that crown vic up under one corner of that truck and steer into it.....that truck hasn't a chance in HELL!!! I would bet my last dollar that I could PIT my F250 with my Grand Am.

Now in an EXTREME situation, like say a loaded tandem dump truck, and a 1 ton dually stake bed....the 1 ton hasn't a chance in the world!!

Bu enough about police chases, I am glad you are here to post about the crash....means you had a head on your shoulders while driving. Excessive speed would surely put you in teh woods fast.....but so can rocks, gravel or even a little coolant on the road. I have PERSONALLY seen a tractor trailer with an end dump on loaded with rock go into teh trees because soem arsewipe in a 5 ton didn't screw his fuel cap on after filling up... Diesel poured on the road, end dump comes along and hits it in the corner.....and over she went.

Maybe a little fluids or sand on teh road were the cause of the crash?

If the insurance company low balls you, take it, buy the truck back and part it out at worst case scenerio!! Or keep it as a parts rig for your new idi....I mean, you are sticking around this forum with an idi, right? :backoff

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, yes and no. Look at the police doing a PIT. there is NO WAY that cruiser is heavier than say a 1 ton dually, even with the gear packed in the car.

I have seen 1 ton 4x4 diesel duallies get pitted before by a Crown Vic. You get the nose of that crown vic up under one corner of that truck and steer into it.....that truck hasn't a chance in HELL!!! I would bet my last dollar that I could PIT my F250 with my Grand Am.

Now in an EXTREME situation, like say a loaded tandem dump truck, and a 1 ton dually stake bed....the 1 ton hasn't a chance in the world!!

Bu enough about police chases, I am glad you are here to post about the crash....means you had a head on your shoulders while driving. Excessive speed would surely put you in teh woods fast.....but so can rocks, gravel or even a little coolant on the road. I have PERSONALLY seen a tractor trailer with an end dump on loaded with rock go into teh trees because soem arsewipe in a 5 ton didn't screw his fuel cap on after filling up... Diesel poured on the road, end dump comes along and hits it in the corner.....and over she went.

Maybe a little fluids or sand on teh road were the cause of the crash?

If the insurance company low balls you, take it, buy the truck back and part it out at worst case scenerio!! Or keep it as a parts rig for your new idi....I mean, you are sticking around this forum with an idi, right? :backoff
goofy-
i agree with you on doing a PIT on a open freeway doing high speeds.
his situation is he's on a winding mountain road doing 25-30 mph. lower the speed much harder to PIT.
now the fluids and sand is a possibility since other vehicles have crashed there recently

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Glad everyone is safe. Trucks can be replaced(even though we act like they can't).

Kilted Celt

Diesel noob
Reaction score
I didn't get PIT'd cause it was a new Lexus behind me. If he was to try said maneuver it would have been lodged under my bumper and a very tell tale mangled hood on his end.

I'm wondering if something broke on my front end and sent me flying into the side of the canyon. It's still too foggy and I'm not certain if I'll ever remember what happened.

Kilted Celt

Diesel noob
Reaction score
did you hear any knocking? i had a feeling you were "out" i see blood on the roof of the truck.
i have a '86 2wd CC dually chassis missing engine, trans and wiring harness. it's yours if you can use it. the rear end will need rebuilding.

I don't think there was any knocking coming from the motor.

Thanks for the offer on the truck, I might take you up on it. I did see some trucks listed for sale that might get me going on the road faster. Just depends on what my insurance wants to pay out.

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
celt

I live up in portland and have made the trek down to towcats before. Im up for going down and helping with the rearend rebuild and engine/trans swap over a long weekend if towcat and some other locals are willing to meet up and bang it out.

towcat has my number, pm me your number if you want to go this route.

punk

sandrow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I only got 3500 for my 93 idi thats with them adjusting for the cost of em up here....... sucks it only had around 168000 on it in excellent shape.... OH well life happens by the way that was with USAA prior military ins, full coverage. fortunately everybody walked away W/O a scratch. USAA is the best and cheapest ins I have ever seen!! if you are prior service or current you are really missing out on some great deals for ins. I pay $402 for 6 mo. of full coverage tith no fault tow and on the road emergency repairs.

Kilted Celt

Diesel noob
Reaction score
celt

I live up in portland and have made the trek down to towcats before. Im up for going down and helping with the rearend rebuild and engine/trans swap over a long weekend if towcat and some other locals are willing to meet up and bang it out.

towcat has my number, pm me your number if you want to go this route.

punk

Thanks for the offer of help Punk! I will have to wait and see what Monday brings from the insurance folks. It seems a real shame that I wrecked the truck with only just rolled the odo last month for the first time.

You know guys this forum has been really awesome and wealth of info. I really feel a sense of brotherhood here and really appreciate everyone's genuine caring for my wife's wellbeing and wanting to know how we faired.