Torquing the heads

mainiac

Reaction score
I'm putting my cylinder heads back on today with new Felpro head gaskets, and thought I should ask about the torque values for my 83 6.9 block.
My book says 60ish and the 86's where closer to 90ish.

Wasn't there something about updated gaskets around here?
Did the updated gaskets change/increase the 83 6.9 torque values?

Thanks, Mike

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
The updated gasket should not change the torque values. I don't know why they would have the 83MY listed so low that just doesn't seem right to me... I would torque them down like the others 80lbs and call it a day... Man 60 is low in my opinion...

jauguston

Retired
Reaction score
Because that is such a important spec I would recommend you make a phone call to your local International truck service department and ask them. It is their engine. When I installed my Hypermax turbo they told me to check my head bolt torque to be sure it was OK. I called my local IH service department and they told me 85 lbs for the 7/16 bolts.

To be safe don't take my word for it, call them and ask. JMHO.

Jim

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you call IH, they might tell you 75. That's the factory spec for the 6.9. However, all the turbo kit manufactures tell you to go 85, and I tell eveybody 85 with new bolts.

mainiac

Reaction score
I torqued the studs to 85 lbs last February and all was fine then, til the crank snapped. So, I just did it again this time, working my way up to 85 lbs.

Thanks for the help.
Mike K.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin