Torque Converter lockup switch

devildog88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you do a search i know when i was looking i found a couple threads with good instructions on how to wire it. I'll see if i can find them

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
Link don't work for me Devildog, says that I'm not logged in. :dunno

I know the Powerstroke T/C lock up is diffrent because these trucks only have a PCM for the tranny. When you do the T/C lockup switch on the Strokers you also have to mess with the EBPV programming too.

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
As I said in the eariler post -all I did was look at the schematics from the trans Pcm there is a wire to the trans tc solinoid-I'll try to look it up kater today (headed to the Legion hall this AM).tap into it-dont cut it run 1 wire to your switch then from the switch to ground. Just a 2 pole switch is required.$3 0r $4 dollars (on -off) If I remember correctly the wire id on the lower left of the PCM as you look at it from the front of the truck (next to the bottom) I THINK!!-not positive. Its been 5 years since I did mine.

sootman73

Reaction score
tap into it-dont cut it run 1 wire to your switch then from the switch to ground. Just a 2 pole switch is required.$3 0r $4 dollars (on -off)

so you just ground the signal? or do you have to send the solenoid power to energize and lock the TC?

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Its interesting the pcm energises the TC solinoid by grounding it.I have found that to be very common to do that that way even my 03 Buick grounds the solinoid pac. IN both cases the solinoid has 12+ most of the time.I say most of the time because my truck wil unlock the TC in certain situations-since my switch grounds it that indicates that the 12+ must be switched in some situaqyions.How ever this causes absolutly no problem when it is in locked mode. I love the modification.It sure saves the trans and TC.

sootman73

Reaction score
does anyone have a picture of the TCM for the E4OD? i can't seem to find any schematics. where is the TCM at? is it under the dash or in the engine compartment? i found a view and labels of the transmission harness plug at the tranny and found the TC wire is purple and yellow.

tuke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heres a link to the one I built and put in my 92 works great. But unlike the link above it only has the one LED but it will light even when not using the manual lock up so you will know when the TC is actually locked.

sootman73 I believe what your lookin for ins on the firewall by the brake booster. If I get a chance I'll take a pic tommorrow.

sootman73

Reaction score
This is in your 2002 i assume? does it work the same for the idi's? i know i dont have that many connectors under the hood in the area you refer to. will it still work by just grounding the violet/yellow wire and just deal with the OD light blinking? i could prob make the box after a while but would like to be able to lock up the TC now. it would also take me awhile to build the box but i will prob do it. just in case the OD light blinks for a real reason.

i tried finding the switch you used but the part number did not show up on radioshacks website. is it just any two pole switch, say from autozone or napa? everything else i found fine though.

did you put any resistors in for your led?

Last edited:

tuke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No its in my 92 IDI. And now that you mention it I do remember the switch number didn't jive. I believe its a regular spst toggle on/off. Also there is no issue w/ the blinking O/D light. I think thats the reason I went with this one. I do plan on building another one for the 02 sone as it warms up a little. Up shifts and down shifts are the way they should be. Just remember to shut it off before you stop.

sootman73

Reaction score
ya i'll try to remember that! i'll prob stall it a few times before i get used to it. okay one more question i promise! when you make the connections to the relay i see there are 8 spade connectors. which ones hook up where? its hard to tell from your pic.