Top speed 55mph normal for 6.9?

Tony Stottler

Reaction score
when are you Good fellows asked if it had been a fleet vehicle before and yes it was for Boise Cascade in estacada Oregon that was two maybe point toward a limiter or Governor being on the vehicle. I'm under the impression from the people I've spoken with locally that there are none available for the natural aspirated 6.9. last thing what is this device that has been disconnected before I got the vehicle. it has a hard line hose connection end on the end of the hard line next to it in front that goes over the axle and points up toward the fuel lift pump that has been disconnected entirely and abandoned
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I'm under the impression from the people I've spoken with locally that there are none available for the natural aspirated 6.9.
If they are "experts", ask them why the Internationals with the same engines have a lower max RPM then the Ford versions do. Yes these engines can be goverened to a lower RPM.

last thing what is this device that has been disconnected before I got the vehicle. it has a hard line hose connection end on the end of the hard line next to it in front that goes over the axle and points up toward the fuel lift pump that has been disconnected entirely and abandoned
I'm no van expert, but your pictures appear to be of a water separator. These were known to leak and let air get sucked into the fuel system. It's not at all uncommon to see them bypassed.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I'm no van expert, but your pictures appear to be of a water separator. These were known to leak and let air get sucked into the fuel system. It's not at all uncommon to see them bypassed.

Yep that's the van version of the factory water separator. Over on this post where I showed the oil filter, you can see the empty W/S cage mine had: https://www.oilburners.net/posts/1074711/

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
If they are "experts", ask them why the Internationals with the same engines have a lower max RPM then the Ford versions do. Yes these engines can be goverened to a lower RPM.
I just thought of one more thing to add to this. You can also ask them why Wes's bigger pumps are goverened to 4500 RPM. The governor works both ways.

Ky85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went out and did 70 yesterday on the highway. Def goes higher than that too

No turbo 6.9

Smoke keeps the tailgaters off :rock:

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went out and did 70 yesterday on the highway. Def goes higher than that too

No turbo 6.9

Smoke keeps the tailgaters off :rock:

If you have 4.10's and stock tires and no overdrive, you were pretty much maxed out though.

Lonewolf182

Reaction score
I've got an old Uhaul with a 7.3.
It had gotten slower and then the electric fuel pump died.
Replaced the pump and still couldn't gain speed until I replaced the fuel filter. The clogged filter is probably what killed the pump.
Anyway, I'd start by replacing your filter.

Lonewolf182

Reaction score
Side note, l've also had a 6.9 with the same water separator. It started leaking the 1st time i drained it.
Instead of bypassing it, I tapped the drain hole and screwed in a radiator drain ****.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Will toss this in to see if it helps. I bought a 7.3 2.5 years ago and this group has a lot of great advice to keep your truck running! The 6.9 and 7.3 are very similair and share many parts. So 7.3 advice will help you too.

Always add as much color as you can. I see white smoke at start up, I have a hard time starting up, I have a miss or rough idle, I see black smoke when I step on it, I feel a sudden lack of power at 55mph. The more symptoms you share the more this group can weigh in on things to look at or better diagnose.

I have a 88 F250 with a 7.3 non-turbo and C6 tranny but not sure what gears the axle has. But as said above when geared down these are not 80mph cruisers. (Think powerful tug boat, not speed boat.) But if you think about it, follks towing back in 80's and early 90's towed at 55, so it gave them higher RPM's, more torque, and saved the bottom end of the engine. (I have read they do not like heavy loads at low RPM's.) They guy who sold me the truck just used it for pulling a 5th wheel travel trailer, not a daily driver. So he probably did'nt care if he could drive in the fast lane. Know on steep hills pulling my 8,000 pound boat I am in 2nd doing 45mph.

My truck unloaded goes
1) 3,000rpms = ~70 MPH (About as fast as I care to run up the engine.)
2) 2,700rpms = ~63 MPH (My general cruising speed is 63-65.)

I would see if you can get your RPM's up to 2,700-2,900. If not there is likely some good reason (governed.) or you have an issue. (Lack of fuel or good tune.) If you can get higher RPM's per the response above, your tranny could be slipping, or you have a bad torque converter, or simply you are geared for 55mph @ 2,500-2,800 rpm. (That would be a first I have seen on this site, but things happen for a reason.)
1) As stated above perhaps the govenor was lowered to keep their employees from speeding or blowing up the truck. Perhaps someone else can share what happens when going down a hill, does the govenor still restrict the RPM's. I would imagine if governed when you hit the max, the engine will slightly change sounds. If you say I am going to go steady at 45mph you will hear the engine change tune from accelerating to coasting as the injection pump starts to starve the engine of more diesel. I notice this when going 65 on the HWY, when the engine goes form coasting to pushing and visa versa you hear a change in the sound of the engine and feel a little deceleration.
2) As stated above possible fuel restriction issue but I would expect you would feel a odd reaction, like irregular power, surging, or the truck power falling off as it starves then picking up as it gets more. (Governers generally feel like you hit the wall, that you are giving it all its got.) Switch fuel tanks if vans have dual tanks like a F250/F350, that would allow you to determine if the tank pick up or line to the lift pump is clogged or if the fuel is bad. Change the fuel filter for sure which is just good maintanence for a new used truck. (I would expect a govenor would just feel like you maxed out, not starving for fuel.) Also perhaps test your lift pump, as mentioned earlier, if you lack volume of fuel to the injection pump, you are not able to go as fast.
3) Injection timing, when I bought it used I put on new injectors and when I checked the timing it was at 0 degrees at 2,000 rpm's VS 8.5 degrees BTD at 2,000rpm. Timing can also limit your power. (Usually creates other issues like white or black smoke or in my case higher temps.) So not sure if new injectors changed my timing that severe or if the prior owner did not have it timed correctly.
4) Also maybe do a compression and test to see if you have level compression.(Lets you check your glow plugs in the process.) You will read there is no official PSI, just no more than 20% off between the highest and lowest cylinder. Mine all tested between 405 and 420psi to give you a guage, but I would have not worried if that was 340-350 PSI as they would be close together.
5) Folks have also had odd issues from clogged injector rail return lines. So you may want to blow air through your line to the lift pump, and the return line with the gas cap off and listen for air. (I would not do so at 120psi out of a compressor, but increase the PSI slowly from say 5psi to 15psi to see if clogged.)

On another note is is frustrating that Ford did not put a extra digit on the speedo. As folks suggest some service records and online services may have picked up miliage along the way. But often you can tell by the wear on door hinges, seat covers, and overall appearance to gauge if the truck has say 50K, 150k, or 250k. My seats were not ripped and the doors were not loose on the hinges or lock tabs. So I was pretty confident the seller was honest and the truck only had 170K not 270k. Bottom line is now its your truck and is what it is. Hopefully you got a good deal because the seller also knew it would not go over 55.

There are likely threads on this site on how to change the govenor to see if that is your core issue. There are also threads on all the rest above.

Stay the course, read up on other threads, and you will succeed. Read about the general maintenace issues, common problems, and address them. These are relatively simple diesels, parts in comparison with new rigs are cheap, and with a positive attitude you can do most of maintenace, diagnossis, and work yourself.

Last edited:

CBRF3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The professional injection tech doesn't know his butt from a hole in the ground the governor is built into the injection pump not external and is adjustable some are dialed to 2700-2800rpms some 3200rpms others 3400rpms alot of the fleet ones are dialed at the 2700-2800rpm. The point is you can adjust this fairly easily if you open up the injection pump top cover where the kill solenoid is the long bolt in center with a long looking nut turn it towards passenger side to raise max RPM's. I use a 1/2 stubby wrench for this 2 position changes of the wrench around 1/2-3/4 of a turn is is about 200-300 rpm increase dont go to far and be carefull not to get any dirt / trash in the injection pump. PLZ do not change this to much or you will cause the pump to over fuel heavily and over rev I like to adjust the ones set for 2700-2800 rpm 4 wrench position changes and the 3200rpm ones 2 position changes to get me around where you want to be which is 3400rpm for the brave with a heavily built motor 6 position changes for a 2700-2800rpm pump bringing max rpm to around 3600rpm and the 3200rpm one is 3-4 and the 3400 is 1-2 unless you have a well built motor do not go any further PLZ these motors don't take high RPM above 3600rpm to well and often grenade pretty quickly if aren't carefull.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Perhaps someone else can share what happens when going down a hill, does the govenor still restrict the RPM's.
Don't confuse RPM with vehicle speed. They are related, but are also separate. They can and do vary especially with the C6. It has a lot of slippage built into it. The governor will still stop your engine at the same RPM whether you are driving up hill, down hill, on a flat, or in neutral. Since we're talking about a vehicle with a C6 here, I'll stick to it only. For a round number, let's just say that the IP is governed at 3000 RPM. With the throttle pedal on the floor, your engine will be turning at 3000 RPM, but your speed will be different in all three gears. The higher the gear, the higher the vehicle speed at the same 3000 RPM. Now here's where the slippage of the C6 comes into play. Since the engine and the output of the transmission don't have a solid connection between the two of them, this is where the slippage come in. A standard transmission has a solid connection, as does the E4OD when the torque convertor is locked up (someone please correct me if I'm wrong on the E4OD). As a vehicle with a C6, a box van with a 6.9 in this case, goes up hill, even with the throttle pedal on the floor, since there is no solid connection, the vehicle speed will start to be reduced due to the extra resistance of gravity trying to pull the van back down hill. The opposite will happen with the van going down the other side of the hill. The engine RPM will not have changed since the pedal is still being held to the floor and the engine is running against the governor. The same thing happens when you have a tail or a head wind. More or less wind resistance will cause the vehicle speed to vary with the engine still turning at 3000 RPM. This is also why a truck or a regular van, being set up the exact same way as our box van example, will be able to go at a faster speed down the highway while the engine's turning at 3000 RPM. The box on the van has more wind resistance and will slow down the vehicle. This is also why, in an earlier post, I said that maybe this box van just plain can't go much faster than 55 MPH.

CBRF3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't confuse RPM with vehicle speed. They are related, but are also separate. They can and do vary especially with the C6. It has a lot of slippage built into it. The governor will still stop your engine at the same RPM whether you are driving up hill, down hill, on a flat, or in neutral. Since we're talking about a vehicle with a C6 here, I'll stick to it only. For a round number, let's just say that the IP is governed at 3000 RPM. With the throttle pedal on the floor, your engine will be turning at 3000 RPM, but your speed will be different in all three gears. The higher the gear, the higher the vehicle speed at the same 3000 RPM. Now here's where the slippage of the C6 comes into play. Since the engine and the output of the transmission don't have a solid connection between the two of them, this is where the slippage come in. A standard transmission has a solid connection, as does the E4OD when the torque convertor is locked up (someone please correct me if I'm wrong on the E4OD). As a vehicle with a C6, a box van with a 6.9 in this case, goes up hill, even with the throttle pedal on the floor, since there is no solid connection, the vehicle speed will start to be reduced due to the extra resistance of gravity trying to pull the van back down hill. The opposite will happen with the van going down the other side of the hill. The engine RPM will not have changed since the pedal is still being held to the floor and the engine is running against the governor. The same thing happens when you have a tail or a head wind. More or less wind resistance will cause the vehicle speed to vary with the engine still turning at 3000 RPM. This is also why a truck or a regular van, being set up the exact same way as our box van example, will be able to go at a faster speed down the highway while the engine's turning at 3000 RPM. The box on the van has more wind resistance and will slow down the vehicle. This is also why, in an earlier post, I said that maybe this box van just plain can't go much faster than 55 MPH.

You have a point but from experience a C6 slippage issue is often noticeable you slow down but RPM's stay the same vs other transmissions the RPM's would drop if it was slowing down its a simple test the poster can test. I forgot to mention this as have not dealt with a C6 in forever I always remove C6's from any vehicle I deal with and instead do a built E4OD conversion with standalone adjustable transmission controller or go to a manual 4 speed or ZF5. I prefer manual transmissions myself for towing found them more reliable and better to control your power automatics for our motors yes they up our torgue via torgue converter torgue multiplication but the engine braking and general reliability and simplicity of a manual transmission is my preference and did I mention ability to push start in a pinch has saved me a few times dead battery or complete electrical failure simply open injection pump ziptie the kill solenoid reassemble and push start it and made it home over 3000 miles with 0 electicals working I forgot a shot of starting fluid good old hand signals and polite gesturing and carefull driving will get you home in a pinch.

Last edited:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
You have a point but from experience a C6 slippage issue is often noticeable you slow down but RPM's stay the same vs other transmissions the RPM's would drop if it was slowing down its a simple test the poster can test.
Exactly what I said. ALL C6 transmissions have slippage since they do not have a lock up convertor.