Top Oil resevour

GSF35099

Reaction score
Are any of you familar with the oil resevour that is apparently on the top of the engine with a fill cap just under the timing cover? I have a mechanic friend that says this is a resevour that does not get changed with a normal oil change and requires the oil to be sucked out and then about 2 quarts back in.

Any info in this area will greatly help.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it dont get the oil chabged during an oil change.but some owners do suck the oil out of it and refill with clean oil.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also never change the HPOP reservoir oil, there is a 1/4 inch pipe plug that you can thread out, then suck the oil out and refill with clean if you are so inclined. I figure 14 out of 16 quarts is good, put a new filter on it slam the hood and drive it for 5000 miles.

GSF35099

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I have heard of engines burning up because there is not enough oil that top reservoir. I have been having a few strange problems and it sure can't hurt to change that oil and make sure it is clean and full.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I have heard of engines burning up because there is not enough oil that top reservoir.

Asolutley false and incorrect info, if that reservoir runs out of oil your injection system will cease to operate and the engine will shut down.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
|stupid |stupid

I have heard of engines burning up because there is not enough oil that top reservoir

dont know who told you that but they best keep thier hands out of a PSD

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
I can bear witness to the low oil shutdown on a PSD :eek: LOL

The injectors need the high oil pressure to fire so if there is no oil for the resivour....the eng WILL shut down before doing any bearing damage ;Sweet

BTW....There is more oil left in the galleys and oil cooler .....so the tea cup amount in the resivour don't really matter because oil is pumped thru it and becomes absorbed with the fresh oil anyway ;Sweet

94f450sd said:
dont know who told you that but they best keep thier hands out of a PSD

WORD! :hail

GSF35099

Reaction score
Will that oil level cause the engine to be hard to start if it is low? If I let me truck set for more than 36 hours, the engine has to turn over many more times before it fires and sometimes dies right away.

After the truck has warmed up and I drive it, as long as I start it every day it fires right up. GP's and injectors have been checked and are good. We thought it might still be a leak in the fuel line causing air to be sucked in the fuel area. Although we have let the truck sit and then flush the fuel on the top of the engine and the issue still happens.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes if the level in the reservoir is low it will be hard to start.what might be happening to yours is you may need injector orings wich will cause the oil in the reservoir and galley/s to drain into the valve area.when was the last fuel filter change and what color was the fuel in the fuel filter houseing?

GSF35099

Reaction score
I change the fuel filter out every other oil change and I just had it changed again thinking that it may have been the cause. The fuel looked real good and the housing as well, the color looked like normal diesel fuel (clear with no darkness from oil). I did have to replace the lever and oring assembly for the fuel housing drain due to the valve not wanting to close after being opened and closed a few times in a row. Still no luck..

The weird thing is that after the truck has sat for a few days, it will turn over like I said and I then have to pump the peddel and bang!!! Engine fires up and revs high like it is clearing exess fuel.. I know that you should never have to give a fuel injected vehicle any throttle when starting, but it just continues to turn over until I pump the throttle.

Again, as long as I start the truck ever day and let it warm up, I have no starting issues as all. It fires right up without touching the throttle.

I am new at working on PSD as I have always taken it to someone and just trying to gain some knowledge from all of you with regard to a PSD.

Thanks again for all the help.

GSF35099

Reaction score
Glow plugs test and appear to be working fine. They have never been changed. I think that from what I have read in the other thread of replacing glow plugs, I should just go ahead and replace them??? Hate to shotgun troubleshoot, but that is a pretty inexspensive change.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How did you test the plugs? Ohm meter?

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
glow plugs working properly?last time they were changed?

in addition to the UVC {under valve cover} harness and relay.

Remove the plugs at the valve covers- 2 each side- and with a DVM {digital volt meter} set to ohms, probe the 2 end pins- these are the glow plug pins-
as a rule any above 1 ohm are suspect and warrent further investigation which requires valve cover removal.

GSF35099

Reaction score
My mechanic friend helped me and used and ohm meter and I believe he tried something else but not sure what it was. He was convinced that they were are doing just fine.. What are you doing on this thing Chrismas day? Just as bad as I am... :) Forum junky.... :)