Too Much Fuel or Something Else

JustinC00

Reaction score
Hello all,
I bought this truck last year, and I cannot thank all of y'all enough for the help that you have provided and still deliver to this day. Today I'm coming to you with a problem, which I think isnt real major, but its an interesting set of circumstances that both caused and are an effect of said issue. I have a white haze at idle, which I know from the research on here, that is normal when cold. The thing is that the haze doesnt really go away. Once the truck is warm, it goes to a more black/dark grey color. The weird thing that i have yet to see someone else mention, is as soon as the throttle is pressed, i roal coal. Given when it is cold outside it still has that greyish color. But in the middle of the day it is a greyish white haze, and as soon as I pull away from the stop sign, any blip of the throttle gives me black. I adjusted the injector pump back a bit, as I was told by the previous owner the shop that installed it was told it was getting a turbo, so they maxed out the pump. I'm a little skeptical of it, but you never know. As I said, I turned the fuel down one flat(60*), and it seems to be a little less smoky, both roaling coal, and the haze. But it is still pretty bad. I dont burn much oil. I check it about 2-3 times a week, my coolant was low at one point but i also check that at usually the same time as the oil. no issues there. As previously stated in other posts of mine, the odometer reads 96,000. I am not 100% sure, but the way it runs besides the smoke tells me that is a good estimate. The injection pump is fairly new, as well as the injectors, glow plugs, glow plug wiring, and injector return lines. At the moment its not so much of an issue, as it is more of an annoyance, that as soon as i put my foot even slightly down, i get storm clouds, which is whatever, cool for awhile, but i can just watch my fuel gauge dip even for a short trip. I appreciate any responses and any help you guys can offer. I have not had a compression test, but again it only has around 100K miles and was taken pretty good care of as far as the usual maintinence. I'm not a mechanic, but from the fact that the smoke at both speeds of the engine has died down, I would venture to say its being overfueled, which would cause the black smoke at speed, and the greyish black smoke on startup and idling. Please let me know if I'm wrong.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like they did turn the pump way up. Besides using extra fuel, it's going to make the engine run hot if you use it to pull a load. As in, I would not use it very hard till you got rid of the smoke. Your exhaust gas temperatures would get way too high.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
They turn up pumps for turbo's from what I have researched. So it could be they turned yours way up. I would turn the fuel down again to see what you get then. Maybe one more time if still deserving of it.

I would also check your timing to make sure it is on.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
They turn up pumps for turbo's from what I have researched. So it could be they turned yours way up. I would turn the fuel down again to see what you get then. Maybe one more time if still deserving of it.

I would also check your timing to make sure it is on.
These are your two places to look. I'll bet that you still need to turn the fuel back down since you only went one flat, but I'd check the timing first.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, too much fuel at idle would just increase the RPMs. It wouldn't make it white/grey. White at idle that smells awful is un-burnt fuel, which points to timing in a big way. Or other things but timing is first. Could be a bad pump too, there are only a few quality rebuilders(unless it's still original, then would likely be fine until you have hot-start problems).

And if the pump was maxed you'll need at least 3 flats, maybe 5 to get back to stock N/A fueling. I've never had to go back, lol, so I can't remember. I'd go 2 more after checking timing.

If you can't get to a meter you can get close by starting it cold and listen for a sharp powerstroke-type rattle. Then when the fast idle drops down that sharpness should go away and it will sound much quieter.
To give you an idea, when cold and the hood open it should hurt your ears, it's not a tolerable work environment(unless you're into big-hair rock bands, lol! :rock:)

This is subject to ambient temps, if it's around freezing it doesn't quite work this well and if it's 90* out it'll start up more quietly, etc.

Happy wrenching!
Joshua

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86