to grease or not to grease, that is the question

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Transmission output shaft teeth look perfect, just slight visual marks where they were in contact with the t-case input shaft teeth, but no wear. OK, so grease it is, makes sliding the case in easier anyways.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clean they are already, that's like a no-brainer here. Back together will wait a while, turns out the she-devil was right about the PacBrake not holding the truck back quite as good as it used to when we first dropped it on - yeah a giant crack in the exhaust pipe flange will do that, must have been venting out backpressure something fierce. Sooo, fixing that mess comes first, gonna use the flanges off the factory Y-pipe, walls appear somewhat thicker... Always something! LOL

sambodean

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the helpful info and suggestions. Ill throw it in there tomorrow with a dab of grease. The funny thing about all of this is, when i opened up the original transfer case, there was nylon shavings everywhere, and the metal on the fork was worn down, and some plastic bushings were worn out? I bought another transferase for 40 bucks off of a 79 for donor parts, turns out it had brass bushings, and was much better off than the 85' case. didn't know they made these cases with brass bushings instead of the plastic, and I'm happy i found that case for 40 smacks out in the boonies ;Sweet

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And your '79 case fit just fine without any need for driveshafts work? Must be a NP208 then, those started showing up in Fords right around that time. The usual t-case in the 70s was the NP205, which while very strong is also quite a bit shorter than anything Ford put in their '80s and newer trucks, so shorter front shaft and longer rear shaft are needed for it. Funny thing, our 208 is also a '79 production run, must have the brass parts inside it then - never opened it, so wouldn't know for sure. Won't find any brass in a later BW1356 case tho, all plastic IIRC, but they still run for hundreds of thousands of miles (or till the pump spins and self-destructs into the chain drive). Idk about the 1345s, haven't had one opened yet...

Forgot to mention about the gasket thing, well that kinda depends on the transmission. The T19 stick-shift (and most other 4-speeds) would greatly benefit from an actual paper gasket slathered with RTV on both sides as the rear bearing is wide open into the tailshaft housing and some oil will find its way there thru it. A newer ZF5 stick won't care one bit, that one has a seal behind the tailshaft bearing so whatever soup is in the trans stays there and does not migrate up into the tailshaft housing. When I yanked the T19 and replaced it with a NP435 (again 4-speed but different gearing) I did the RTV + gasket, not a drop of oil ever leaked till yesterday when I removed the t-case. The new ZF5 is only getting a light coat of RTV, mostly to keep the elements out as there isn't anything inside that are that actually calls for a good seal...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat