TIRES A towing moment.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trip to Alaska with some friends. Brand new Montana with only about a thousand miles on it had a tire moment. It's awful hard to see the tires on an RV even when this happens.The moral of this story is, don't outfit an RV with Carlysle tires, all are made in China. I've seen more of those blow out thm any other Brand. If a Michlene blows, God help ya, cause they will tear hell out of your RV. Made good friends with SAM the Wolf/Husky, he would watch every move I made, the other is also Wolf/Husky but not as friendly. Thats not me under the RV, thats a friend useing my jack, he didn't have a jack that would lift His RV.

Attachments

• P1000669.jpg
    P1000669.jpg
    765.9 KB · Views: 20
  • P1000663.jpg
    P1000663.jpg
    638 KB · Views: 22
  • P1000666.jpg
    P1000666.jpg
    658.6 KB · Views: 24
  • P1000672.jpg
    P1000672.jpg
    645.9 KB · Views: 22
  • P1000667.jpg
    P1000667.jpg
    585.9 KB · Views: 22
  • P1000670.jpg
    P1000670.jpg
    620.7 KB · Views: 20

gandalf

Reaction score
Is this a current trip? Or is this the trip you took a couple years ago? That's a drive I've always wanted to make. I lived there for a year, near Fairbanks, but I flew in and out. I'd really like to drive up and back.;Sweet

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice dog.... I am curently searching about tires.... My buddie own a tow co in modoc and told me the tires on my fiver love to shell tread just like these pics, also others have mentioned trailer tires may only last up to 6 yrs.
so who makes a decent honest priced tire in 225 75 15?
I just got the truck and trailer in service its time to go play and changing a tire on the road in NOT my idea of playing.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is this a current trip? Or is this the trip you took a couple years ago? That's a drive I've always wanted to make. I lived there for a year, near Fairbanks, but I flew in and out. I'd really like to drive up and back.;Sweet

Yeah Ken: that was in 08. After I crashed my puter, I was installing my pic's I had on CD's, came across this and thought I'd post it. I was in the RV service business for 15 yrs after I retired, seen many of Carlysle tires go BOOM.

Nice dog.... I am curently searching about tires.... My buddie own a tow co in modoc and told me the tires on my fiver love to shell tread just like these pics, also others have mentioned trailer tires may only last up to 6 yrs.
so who makes a decent honest priced tire in 225 75 15?
I just got the truck and trailer in service its time to go play and changing a tire on the road in NOT my idea of playing.
That dog took to me like stink on poop, even offered to buy him from Ray, no soap. If Sam the dog wouldn't do like he commanded quick, he would slap Sam on the back with the leash, that's no way to train a dog. It's a wonder Sam didn't turn on him.
Anyways getting to tires, I wouldn't know what to suggest any more. RV tires set in the Sun and rot, they have to be run to bring the UV additive to the surface, covering them helps to prolong the life when just setting. Carlysle is a Holding Co. they own a bunch of different one's, mostly junk made in China.

I like Mastercraft made by Cooper Tire in Findlay OH. Use them on my trucks and cars, don't need any just yet on the RV.

Last edited:

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always wondered about the Mastercraft brand since I became a fan of Cooper tires back in 94 when I bought my first set on my 89 GMC 4x4. They pulled hard, lasted a long time, and their winter traction were among the best I have EVER experienced on a vehicle. Used to buy them for the only cars I had (Cooper Cobras) and until I was put onto a set of Kumhos by the same tire dealer who sold me all of my Coopers (also takes care of our farm tires).

May be looking at a set of tires this winter, may try a set of Mastercraft since they are essentially Coopers (I guess) just cheaper. Is that information correct?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance