Bus pulling to both sides

Max Mini

Reaction score
I had the bad luck to be behind a truck that lost a load of concrete and rocks. I had one rear tire blow out and another sustain some damage. The event resulted in closure of the freeway as big rigs crashed at the shoulder and people got stuck all over the place, but I was lucky enough to make it up onto a ramp. Got the blowout fixed roadside and then had to drive to the tire shop to replace the second damaged tire, and my vehicle (1991 E350 7.3L IDI short school bus) was pulling first to one side and then the other, a figure "s".

The shop said my tires were fine but I needed a tie rod end. I wouldn't have thought this would cause such a dramatic "figure s" but maybe. I called my newly discovered mechanic. I told him what was happening and he told me to drop it off.

It took 5 DAYS to get anything out of him (fleets contracts always get in front of me in line), and he said there was absolutely nothing wrong with my front end, but my tires were "junk". I told him that didn't seem right, I mean, it is precarious driving this thing and It sure seems like more than tires, I can hear clunking. Plus they'd told me already I needed a tie rod end so I was figuring that at least. He accused the TIRE SHOP of trying to upsell me - though it's not a garage, they can't DO a tie rod end, and they made no effort to sell me front tires, saying mine were good. But I decided to trust him and I ordered two good tires from a different branch of the same tire company (Sullivan Tire).

When I went to get the tires, the guy jacked up the bus and looked at me funny, then he said, "You're replacing THESE?" This was the first time I really examined the tires myself and, at least at that point, they were absolutely fine. A very little bit of wear on the inside, but that's it. Forget upsell, they didn't even want to sell me the tires they ordered for me, because mine were still so good.

While it was on the jack, I had the service guy jiggle the tire and shot this video. I only shot one side but BOTH sides have this much play, and it's not just 9 o'clock to 3 o'clock, it's also 12 to 6 (though slightly less).

I can't see how anyone could see this movement and say the front end has "absolutely nothing wrong" and I also can't see how anyone could say the tires are"junk." I guess he was just too busy to look at it and it was easier to lie than tell me that, after a five day wait.

Any thoughts on what might REALLY be wrong? Would tie rod ends cause a "figure s" - veering from one side to the other? I have to drive the bus about 20 miles to a suspension shop in a few hours, where it might end up sitting for days and days yet again.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Max Mini

Reaction score
Effing wheel bearings!
Rod ends will show up as a klunk type movement.
The jiggling shows hub issues.
And time for some new support staff!

I WISH I could get some new support staff... No one wants ot work on this thing. Retail shops: 1) We don't do diesel; 2) It's too big; 3) It's too old; 4) It doesn't have a computer; 5) That bus is older than my guys. Commercial shops: Sorry, get in line behind the fleet contracts.

Max Mini

Reaction score
OK so I thought tie rods could jiggle the same way? BTW there's all kinds of clunking too

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I WISH I could get some new support staff... No one wants ot work on this thing. Retail shops: 1) We don't do diesel; 2) It's too big; 3) It's too old; 4) It doesn't have a computer; 5) That bus is older than my guys. Commercial shops: Sorry, get in line behind the fleet contracts.

That's why I carry tons of tools with me. It's overkill to have the 3 ton floor jack with me, since it can't lift the rear end of my RV. For the rear, I use a HFT bottle jack, a 22 ton jack stand ( https://esco.net/products/esco-22-ton-pin-style-jack-stand/ ) and one of these: https://bottlejackbuddy.net/the-big-one (out of stock right now, unfortunately). But I'm pulling a cargo trailer so I have it with me anyway, just in case. It's better suited for use on the front end (which it can lift) compared to the bottle jack, in my opinion.

Best I can say is call around. When my 1978 Dodge class B blew up it's muffler one morning when trying to get it started while in Sacramento CA, (carb flooded badly, I think) I had to call a couple different muffler shops to find one who had an outdoor lift that could fit the van, and who was willing to simple replace the muffler on my out of state vehicle that never had emissions equipment at all. (No smog air pump, no cat converter. It didn't say unleaded only).

Maybe go to auto parts stores and ask the clerks if they can suggest a place also. When my F250's passenger side window mysteriously busted out when driving, the clerk at O'Reilly in Laramie WY told me of the salvage yard around the corner... which happened to have a window for my truck.

Same with the F250 right after (like, same day) when the driveshaft carrier bearing went in northern CO. I stopped at an indie parts dealer for semis and asked if they could recommend a nearby repair shop. I think the one they recommended is the one I ended up using. I did call one other but they weren't sure if they could do it the next day.

Something like wheel bearings, most any shop worth half a crap should be able to do that, even if they have to do it outside. Walmart did that for my RV's tires. They had me park up close so their air hose could reach and dragged out a big ol' floor jack and worked on it outside of the garage bays.

Last edited:

Max Mini

Reaction score
That's why I carry tons of tools with me. It's overkill to have the 3 ton floor jack with me, since it can't lift the rear end of my RV. For the rear, I use a HFT bottle jack, a 22 ton jack stand ( https://esco.net/products/esco-22-ton-pin-style-jack-stand/ ) and one of these: https://bottlejackbuddy.net/the-big-one (out of stock right now, unfortunately).

Best I can say is call around.
Maybe go to auto parts stores and ask the clerks if they can suggest a place also.

Something like wheel bearings, most any shop worth half a crap should be able to do that, even if they have to do it outside.

I can't figure out this posting. I keep posting before I intend to. LOL How am I ever going to l earn how to fix my truck if I can't post on the forum right?!

Last edited:

Max Mini

Reaction score
Asking around is how I found the guy I have been using, and he's supposedly the best in the area but I can't get past the huge lie he just told me, and obviously he doesn't want me as a customer if he's going to tell me he looked at my bus when he didn't. All he had to do was tell me he couldn't fit me in.

Ironically I never have problems finding a mechanic when I'm on the road; I set up a contract with Fyx Fleet and I have a guy there who has hooked me up with great mobile mechanics and shops all over the country. Here in MA, though, I cannot seem to catch a break. My guy at Fyx is out of the country or I would have called him to recommend a place because he has never failed me, but as an individual I kind of snuck in under a wire over there and if I don't talk to him the other reps get baffled because they usually deal with big rigs.

I actually just got a recommendation from the guy whose truck spilled the debris that caused the accident in the first place (he wasn't driving, he owns it), so if the place I'm at right now (they swear they'll be looking at it today but it's 3 and they close in an hour) doesn't come through, I'll follow up with his guy.

Is there some resource you could point me to where I could really start learning this stuff? I have picked up a lot just through my many trials owning an ancient bus but I'd love to learn my way around a diesel vehicle more systematically, so at a minimum I can rip-off proof myself and ultimately so I might be able to do some work without relying on these shops.

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whatever it is, that isn't normal. You don't need new tires. Looks really like wheel bearings with the shake, but it could be bad balljoints as well. If you're getting vertical and horizontal play at the wheel, it's typically not tie rod ends.

Is whoever spilled the concrete/rocks liable for the bill? If so, ask them where they want you to go.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there some resource you could point me to where I could really start learning this stuff? I have picked up a lot just through my many trials owning an ancient bus but I'd love to learn my way around a diesel vehicle more systematically, so at a minimum I can rip-off proof myself and ultimately so I might be able to do some work without relying on these shops.

I know it looks intimidating under there, but it's not rocket science. If you have some help, you can jack the frontend up with a jack on both sides, a couple of blocks or jackstands, and then get under there and watch how it works when someone turns the steering wheel back and forth.

You can then get your helper to wiggle the wheel like the guy in the video, and you can look for movement in the joints.

Working on the frontend and tearing it apart is a little involved. But at least you can look under there and check it out and talk with someone with some idea what's going on.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tldr

The rod ends will only move in one plane.
The up\down and side to side has to be hub (my guess) .
Jack it up, support the frame and hang the suspension,
Then grab steering components and yank\push, looking for slop.
Then do the wheel and look from behind, then do the springs.
If that fails,get a BIG prybar and start flexing components till something gives it up.
Tie the steering wheel down so it cannot rotate, grab rag joint and twist he king for slkp.
If it has lower assist, fire it up first AND KEEP YOUR HANDS FREE OF PINCH POINTS!

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Is whoever spilled the concrete/rocks liable for the bill? If so, ask them where they want you to go.

No no no. Don't go where they WANT just because. They might send you to a person who does a crap job because they are dirt cheap and the person responsible doesn't want to pay for a proper repair.

Reactions: Clb

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No no no. Don't go where they WANT just because. They might send you to a person who does a crap job because they are dirt cheap and the person responsible doesn't want to pay for a proper repair.

I never said go to them, I said ask. That way you know who it is and can do research on them first. They might know/use someone that she's never heard of/used.

She seems to be struggling finding anyone to even work on it.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ps
op
Fill in your rigs statts in your sig line , helps us diagnose your querry...

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Max Mini thats deffinantly wheel bearings its super easy to do and the bearings and races are Pretty cheap also faorly quick to do with a few tools just dirty as grease gets all over might be worth a shot to just fix it your self if ya got a place to park it for the day

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
& don't be afraid to fill in your city/state. Lots of help across the nation on this site!!
Even folks from other countries are members here.:Thumbs Up:Thumbs Up

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bsthomas21

Members online