tire size??????

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remember to account for the tire hitting the springs in the front as well. If I cut mine all the way the front tires will rub the leaf springs.

junior20762003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i wouldn't mind keeping the same tire(my 3rd set) there have really good traction i do alot of ranch work and when it rains really bad i still have damn good traction in this clay mud going down the old dirt roads that we have(easily 15-25 miles maybe more) and sometimes it gets really ugly but they still keep traction alot better than the bf Goodrich all terrains that i used to have by far and the next tires i plan on putting super swamper's with stock height and wheels thats why im asking about this and thanks for taking the time to help me out juan

smokin69

Always smokin'
Reaction score
Look into Cooper Discoverer STT's, an amazing tire and pretty reasonably priced. They have good grip everywhere and last a long time.

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
Offset is important for clearing the sprins when turning. I have run 315's on 8" wide wheels, but that left alot of sidewall "hanging out" and the tires rubbed the springs in the front under hard steering. I have American Racing alloys that are 10" wide now with 315 tires and they fit pretty good, but will still barely touch the springs when I crank it hard. Getting ready to upgrade to some 15" wide wheels with more offset and a set of 38" tires. I have a 4" suspension lift under my truck though.

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
MLSC

I do have 8" wide wheels.....that could account for some of the difference...

Thad

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That, it most definitely would - where the edge of the tread of my tires clears the bumper yours probably does no because your tires are sticking out further out... At least that's the only thing I can come up with.

And Juan, it sounds like you got space to go up to 35" tires (those would be the 315s), however as 91f2504x4 suggested do check about potentially rubbing on the leaf springs - I know that was an issue for me with my old truck (lifted '78 F150, nothing comparable to yours) where my 35x14.50 Bajas would catch on the radius arms big time when making tight turns in parking lots.

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I were you I wouldn't go beyond 285/75/16 without doing a body or suspension lift. I have 325/85/16 Pro Comps on a 79 F250 that's lifted to the sun. I wouln't even try putting those on my 91 without a lift. Here is a link to a tire size calculator to help you with your choices. http://www.wheelsmaster.com/rt_specs.jsp Popular sizes are less expensive than the odd sizes. The larger tires can have more sidewall flex. With the weight you plan to haul the risk of tire failure can increase. Common sizes are easier to find when you are out on the road and need a fast replacement.

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would be careful if I were you. 16 inch rims are stock. 16 1/2 inch are not.
Also, Your dually will tend to rub the two rears together on each side if you get tires that are too fat. Then you will have to put in spacers. I've done it on mine and I only run 235's. In the front, rubbing of a large tire on the turns is an issue and my crew cab already takes a country mile to make a turn. My stock tire was a 225 and I run 235/85/r16 size.

junior20762003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would be careful if I were you. 16 inch rims are stock. 16 1/2 inch are not.
Also, Your dually will tend to rub the two rears together on each side if you get tires that are too fat. Then you will have to put in spacers. I've done it on mine and I only run 235's. In the front, rubbing of a large tire on the turns is an issue and my crew cab already takes a country mile to make a turn. My stock tire was a 225 and I run 235/85/r16 size.

its not a dually tho its a single rear axle but thanks for the advice cause i am going to put a dually axle with a flat bed soon

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online