Tire pressure ?

BudLight

Reaction score
On my F250, the door jamb sticker says "44psi front, 80psi rear". What does everybody run when towing?
I keep them all around 50psi when empty.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The door sticker is 'recommended' for original size tires.
The "max cold psi" on the tires sidewall is what I go by, and experiment with that.

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run max in the rear when towing but when I tow its never light.

I run 65 front and 55 rear DD and bump to 80 in the rear during towing season.

I air my tires until they have the same squish front and rear both DD and Towing.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys ever notice a mpg difference with higher psi???

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
Im to lazy to change it just for towing (its a truck Im fine with a harsh ride) so I run 55 front 80 rear year round (except when I go ice racing) in an ideal world you weigh the individual axles and match the tire pressures to that.

Dave 001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my F250, the door jamb sticker says "44psi front, 80psi rear". What does everybody run when towing?
I keep them all around 50psi when empty.

My tag read 80 psi rear, 51 psi front. When not towing, I run 50 psi front, 60 psi rear.....50 psi in the front because there is a heavy Diesel engine to support, 60 psi in the rear because most of the time the back is empty and running 80 psi wears the center of the tires faster than the rest of the tread.

When towing heavy the rears go to 80 psi like they were designed to be at.

Ideally you want enough tire pressure to keep the tread flat for the amount of weight they are supporting. Too much pressure..... the centers wear out plus traction goes down. Too little pressure...... the edges wear out and rolling resistance goes up (and MPG down).

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
I ALWAYS run a higher PSI up front. When empty, there is very little weight in the back and a lower PSI back there makes the right SOOOO much better. And I max out my front due to the wieght of the diesel.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pressure is not as important to me, as tread contact with the road for even tyre wear, thus I use a chalk method to adjust TP

I run several lines of sidewalk chalk across the entire tread, outter lugs to outter lug. I drive a few short feet and see if it wears off evenly or just in the middle meaning tyre is inflated to hi!

Once I get my tyres to all run at same level of chalk wear, I read the TP and then run that....if I carry a heavy load, then I adjust upwards accordingly...

You will be surprised at how much a tyre does NOT run true and flat on the ground when inflated at 55+ lbs...

THIS WORKS FOR ME....it may produce different results for you....

If I want SUPER mileage I'd max TP to sidewall rating! BUT I take good contact over the minimal difference that max TP would make on mileage as TYRES are expensive to wear out due to improper inflation!

JM2CW

Al

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
personally i would not run less than 60 psi in the front due to the weight of the engine plus the weight of the steering/suspension components and those are even more if you are 4x4. these engines are 1,000lbs+ fully dressed and filled with 8 gallons of coolant and 2.5-3 gallons of oil. that is a lot of weight on the front of the truck.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
personally i would not run less than 60 psi in the front due to the weight of the engine plus the weight of the steering/suspension components and those are even more if you are 4x4. these engines are 1,000lbs+ fully dressed and filled with 8 gallons of coolant and 2.5-3 gallons of oil. that is a lot of weight on the front of the truck.

I would have agreed prior to chalking my tyres.....ROFL...they are less than that by quite a bit...and I have a great ride and steer well...not down at like 35 lbs or anything like that...but ya...less...

I won't post my TP as it's no relevant to my chalk technique.....I do know what it is though...

I imagine that this method I use works on any tyre on any vehicle...I'm waiting to do superwify's truck...

I also suspect that the TP from chalk measures differently for different tyre tread/carcass construction etc...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I run 70 up front towing or not because of the engine weight. The rear I run 65 mt and 80 towing. I undestand how weight will transfer but this works for me. I check the pressure every year too...:eek::rotflmao Realli I check it when I haul anything.. :D

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would have agreed prior to chalking my tyres.....ROFL...they are less than that by quite a bit...and I have a great ride and steer well...not down at like 35 lbs or anything like that...but ya...less...

I won't post my TP as it's no relevant to my chalk technique.....I do know what it is though...

I imagine that this method I use works on any tyre on any vehicle...I'm waiting to do superwify's truck...

I also suspect that the TP from chalk measures differently for different tyre tread/carcass construction etc...

Are you saying your chalk method is better than my eye ball method?! :backoff

:cheers: I'm going to try that! After working in a tire shop through college I take pride in having long lasting tires. I notice my centers wear slightly quicker on some of my DD light towing trucks due to being over inflated for the job they do, my hauling trucks just wear out tires lol.

BudLight

Reaction score
I thank you all for the responses. This is a ttb fwd diff. I put the front tires up to 60psi. Thing is, last time I towed I had them at 80. I just read the door tag, today. :p
Door tag reads as, max weight at tire psi. I am running stock size 235/85/16. I was just honestly surprised about the low front tire pressure, from the factory.
What do the D60/solid axle trucks factory tags say?
I am just trying to figure out "the why?"