Tire choices?

Kris K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it's time to get some new tires on the truck in my sig, and I have some questions.

I'm tired of getting tires that only last a year and wear out. Last year this month I went to Les Shwab, and picked up 2 Triangle radial A/T's well there dead already with 10-12K on them :mad:. I've taken the truck every 3K back to Les Shwab to have them rotate the tires. I asked them if these tires really sucked that bad I know there cheap but WOW. I asked them if it was worth it to buy a name brand tire, and if they would last longer? They just said maybe. Has anyone gotten tires from Shwab that lasted a pretty long time? The truck is used mostly on road but I do use it for hunting/farm work, and towing a 16' trailer with a Suzuki Samurai rock crawler on it.

I kind of want to stick with Shwab because my Father in law get's a pretty good deal from them for are family. But if I got a great deal some where else or find a tire that will last more then a year then I have no problem going there.

Also I'm thinking about changing tire size since I will be replacing all four currently I have 265/75/16's. I've been thinking about getting some 285's or some 235's. I know the 235's are pretty much the same size as the 265 just narrower. The 285's are a little taller. From what I've read the 235's will give me the better fuel mileage. which is very importent since the truck is my DD.

So my questions are:

Has someone gotten a good tire from Les Shwab under $130 a tire?

What size will be best 235's, 285's, or stay the same 265's?

Is there going to be a big diffrence in fuel mileage between these tire sizes?

Sorry the post is kind of all over the place.

kcw12

CrazedCountryRebel
Reaction score
BFG TA KOs if you can afford them
Mastercraft Couser Cts in the 285 size

Ive put 20k on the cts and they still have a lot of tread left, i bet ill get 90k out of them

Kris K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BFG TA KOs if you can afford them
Mastercraft Couser Cts in the 285 size

Ive put 20k on the cts and they still have a lot of tread left, i bet ill get 90k out of them

I've heard great things about the Mastercraft a/t's, and ct's.

Kris K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I called the local Mastercraft dealer herefor the 235's they want $112 for the at's, and $122 for the CT's. In the 265's they want the same as the 235's. For the 285's they want $145 for the at's, and $158 for the CT's.

IHWillys

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's also 255/85R16. Height is a bit taller than the 285. I have Cooper Discoverer S/T 255/85R16 on my '87 E350(4x4). They are wearing well though I don't put alot of miles on. The Toyo M55 is reported to be a very long lived tire but they are expensive.

Also, if you already have chains for 265/75R16 tires, they will fit 255/85R16 tires.

Ken

Kris K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure the 255's would fit I asked the shop if they thought 285's would fit they figured they would. the truck isn't lifted, and the front springs are about an inch from the bump stop.

Will going to a 285/75/16 size tire kill my mileage? I'm currently avg 14-15mpg with 265/75/16. Will 235/85/16's help with mileage since there skinnier?

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
My '97 F-350 is my daily driver. I got what I believe to be the best PURE HIGHWAY TREAD in 235/85/16. They're the Michelin XPS rib model. They are rated E and have all steel belts including sidewalls. They are almost new after 25K. ;Sweet They are horrible in mud and snow (they're sold as summer tires)but are fantastic in wet conditions. They claim a higher mpg rating due to the lower friction/resistance of the treads. They were not cheap, but since tires are the only contact of my truck to pavement, I opted for the best I could find.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=XPS+Rib

http://www.michelinman.com/tires/light-truck/xps-rib/

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
go with a winston winner, its a private label kelly tire and they have a 50,000 mile treadlife for most of there tires

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online