Timing

eldomike

Reaction score
Finally got everything I need to time my engine...Snap on pulse reader and timing light that I can program in the advance and see the rpms...messed with it some today, at 2K rpm the mark on the pully is quite a ways up from the timing mark in the tab...does that mean its to far advanced?

Azidiguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where was the advance set? I know the marks require the livght to be set at a given advance to read right on the timing marks. Someone more knowlegdeable than i will speak up im sure. Also good article on this in the tech atricle section

eldomike

Reaction score
I had it set at 8 degrees...before I start moving the pump would just like to know if the pully mark being above the TDC mark is advance or retard...then I can move the pump accordingly

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Why don't you try adjusting the timing setting on the light and see where the marks is at afterward?

eldomike

Reaction score
I am doing that but just thought I get a heads up ...kinda of a pain to keep loosing and tighting up the pump nuts

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't help ya. I bought the DTI unit and use the probe. I have no idea how to use a timing light. Sorry.
But I know how to turn those pump nuts. ;-)

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I don't know how to use a light that you set the timing on and then check your timing to see if the mark and the line up. I'm used to either the old, gas engine type that just shows where your timing is at or the type where you adjust the timing on the tight to line up the mark and the line and then that tells you where your timing is at.

eldomike

Reaction score
Ok, looking at the engine from the front the engine turns clockwise so I'm assuming if the line is showing up past the TDC mark it needs the timing advanced...btw, at idle the lines match up...

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those that might want to know....ended up just a dimes width advanced past the static marks on the pump
The mysterious dime designation. Everyone uses the dime on timing these things. It's like on Craigslist when people put quarters and pennies in the tire tread. Why not a ruler?
You're at 8.5? 9.5?
A dime is $0.10. there hasn't been half cents in more than 100 years in America.