Timing at 8.5 or 9.5 degrees BTDC?

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Kent Moore timing setup on the way, so I was reading the tech article on how to to set the timing on our trucks. The article mentions how some people prefer to set their timing at 9.5* BTDC rather than 8.5. What’s the advantage to this? Does slightly advanced timing give more power, or is this intended as a buffer for the timing slowly becoming more retarded as the injection system wears out? Or is it just people adapting to low-cetane fuel?

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
From what I have read some felt they get more power at 9.5*.

As I recall there was a thread about a meet and they timed and dyno’d and I believe there was a increase in hp or torque at 9.5*.

But personally I run at 9* and did not notice any difference over 8.5*.

I wish I had a dyno it would be interesting to know what the dyno would show at 8.5* and 9.5*.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The loss of the actual GOOD **** "sulfer" caused the btu and or flame spread to alter timing....
Check mels stickies on timing. Amgen
So 7.5-10.0 degree spread.
mine runs hot retarded.
don't advance it to the point of clatter

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
From what I've seen on here, trucks with turbos seem to like their timing more retarded than the N/A ones do. That aside, each engine/pump/injector combination is it's own creature. They all like slightly different timing settings. You can get close by setting your timing at "X"*. It may be spot on or your engine may like a little bit more or less timing advance. The pump builder's recommendations are a good place to start. Experimentation is the key here though.

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds like I’ll have to just play around with the timing every couple tanks and see where I get the best performance/mpg. Good idea on asking the pump builder.

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is at 7, NA 6.9 in a school bus. I tested from 6 all the way to 10 in 1 degree increments. Being in a heavy bus, the differences between the tests were pretty noticeable in acceleration, heat, clatter, and black smoke produced. 6 was smokey and seemed to be hotter temps then 7-10. 7 was quickest with only a haze of black smoke. 8+9 were slower, but with no smoke. 10 was slowest, with no smoke and kind clatterish. So I reset it back to 7, got 6.6, and said good enough. All done with a j33300. Then I dug out the mt257 and snap on dial adjust light to confirm the end result, and it showed 7.

One might get different results in a lighter truck at a different settings. I'm just listing what I found.

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks that’s good data. I’ll probably do something similar and try to measure my mpg at various settings.