Timing and running hot question

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
I have an '86 F250 with the 6.9 ( no turbo ..(yet)).
Normal driving the temp ga sits right in the middle of the zone. When I tow my 5th wheel, the temp also stays in the normal zone, except when I drive faster than about 55 mph. At higher speeds, the engine temp rises.

I understand that wind resistance increases dramatically with increases in speed. However, I wonder if timing advanced too far might give the same indication.

I tried to have Mel time it, but my truck is missing the piece to allow the timing light to work. The timing mark on the pump is advanced about .030 inch from the index. It doesn't SOUND like its over-advanced; its really a pretty quiet IDI.

So what do you all think? Just slow down? or what?

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it overheating or just running hotter? It's normal for temps to run hotter at high speed, in reality they run too cold at low speeds because the motors aren't loaded to their design weights.

dman91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree you should see a temp rise but a mechanical guage is the only way to know for sure.

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
Yeah, I am using the factory "gauges". The one time it showed real hot, I think it was accurate. I'd prefer not to repeat that.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Michael, you MUST install a real temperature gauge. Electric, or mechanical, your preference. The IVR controlled gauges are junk, and I was tortured back in the 90's before the internet with an IVR gone bizerk which made me replace my thermostat 3 times in an attempt to cure a random "overheating" problem that didn't exist.

dman91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a similar experience with my 93. It is suprising to find out what temp these trucks really love to run at. Good luck with it though.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I was going to post this in another post, but it fits here.

Just so those of you who are not running an aftermarket gauge (I don't say mechanical because after having one water temp capillary catch fire in my drag car, I will NEVER have a mechanical gauge again). You might have read my post about the two times my truck have gotten hot and then cooled very quickly, I believe it to be a sticking thermostat, although it has only done it twice in two years. At any rate my digital gauge (which I have since check calibration on to verify it wasn't a gauge problem) went to 230 degrees. I began to idle and coast and all of the sudden, my temps dropped 30 degrees in like 30 seconds (thermostat must have opened). The reason I give this history is to prove a point, at 230 degrees, with increasing EGT's, the in dash gauge that is also still functional, never left the "n" in normal - not once did it show a hint of a temperature change. I see this everytime I start my truck as well, it will go almost immediately to the "n" in normal, even when my digital is saying 90 degrees, or when it is saying 230 - in dash gauge is the same.

Heed the warnings, get a real gauge cause when you see that in dash unit go to hot, it will be too late!

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I agree you should see a temp rise but a mechanical guage is the only way to know for sure.

Not true, I will put my electrical gauge against your mechanical! :)

AN AFTERMARKET gauge is the only real way to tell. As I said in my previous post, I had a capillary from a mechanical gauge rupture and catch fire in a drag car, it actually cut the bottom of the steel dash like a mini cutting torch. Yes, this is rare, but no one needs oil dumped inside the vehicle or a capillary rupture. Only electrical gauges are used in my vehicles.

Also keep in mind, you generally get what you pay for. While those $20 Suntune gauges are better than what is in the dash, better gauges are going to cost a little more than that! :)

Exekiel69

Reaction score
What transmission do You have on Your truck? This may be one of the factors, unless it just started doing this.

How much does the 5th wheel weights?

You are welcome to come and We could time it with My timing meter, I don't have Mel's experience for sure but if We make it work maybe we can get it on a better spot.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online