Ticking injectors.

helgaairhead

Sparetimeconsulting
Reaction score
Whats the Injector mileage you fellow IDI addicts reckon?
I have this little ticking sound coming from one or more at mileage 75.000 miles.
It could be air, but I have tried to bleed them as best as I can.
Now I'm thinking of, due to mileage and year, just have them replaced .

Anyone know of this "ticking " sound could appear as a result of worn tip?.
It's not there on idle and heavy throttle , but starts at light.
Seems that variation of RPM have something to say.

Helge :)

smoking89IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I got 220,000 miles out of mine, I changed mine because I had a couple that were dribbling fuel before opening and making a sound like a rod knock that went away with the new Delphi's. As for the ticking sound you say it starts with light throttle, is that just off idle or slowly reving it up? Does it do it when the engine decelerates? Any change in starting or smoke? Also some info on your truck would help too like year, miles on truck and engine, what engine and tranny and what if anything has been replaced.

helgaairhead

Sparetimeconsulting
Reaction score
E-350, from August 1992, with NA 7.3 -E4OD and 76.000 miles on it.
I remember that it didn't make this noise when new and as a result of this, I had a look at one of the local trucks hearing it when it run.
No sound at all.
I think it started after it had a leek from the return hose. I changed the caps and I think the sound started after that.
No smoke, no problems at all beside this sound.
We can have smoke numbers at 3.0 at the most here in Norway at this kinda vehicle, last control numbers where 0.32. The guy at the service station shook his head at re-started the measuring equipment again...lol.

Helge :)

suv7734

Reaction score
If the noise started after doing the return line caps you might want to look at the throttle cable positioning. If the throttle cable got routed a bit differently when the caps were done it may be hitting directly on an injector line and transmitting the noise through the cable into the cab of the van. I've seen that happen a few times. There is usually a section that has a large piece of rubber insulation where it snakes around the injector line(s).
Just a thought.

helgaairhead

Sparetimeconsulting
Reaction score
Could it be a loose injector chamber (dunno the english word for it) who is causing this ticking sound rather than a injector tip?.
Is this an issue at all?.

Helge

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online

No members online now.