This old truck is giving me a hard time.

Ryan Cowper

Reaction score
Hey folks, I just replaced all of my glow plugs and installed a fuel return line kit at the same time. I have been experiencing a rough start situation since purchasing the truck. On cold start it turns over, runs a second or two and dies. Then it takes a lot of cranking to get it to turn over again. If I cold start by keeping the petal partially depressed (keeping the rpms up for about 5 seconds after it starts) it hesitates a little bit and does not die. The hesitation evens out within that 5 seconds and I can let off the petal and allow to warm up. There's quite a bit of white smoke at startup until the high idle kicks down. I assumed these issues were a combination glow plug related and old leakey return lines causing air intrusion. I got the wrong return kit from Napa. It works ok except I had to hose clamp the new 1/4" fuel lines to the old 3/16" hard line stubs next to the GP relay. I got it tightened to a place where there is no visible dripping of fuel and no signs of fuel moisture anywhere I can see. I suspect it's tight enough for now.

Like I said, I also replaced the Glow Plugs at the same time. All of the old plugs looked fine without swelling when I replaced with zd9. However, one of the tips was covered in a brownish gritty sludge. Is that indicative of anything I should be concerned about?

After replacing plugs and return kit, the truck started fine the first time. Still a bit of white smoke until warm. I drove it 10 miles to the grocery store, shopped for about 20 minutes and the truck fired right up for the drive home. I got home and parked it overnight. The next day, cold start. Same old problem, cranked over... a few seconds... and died. But when it finally caught it was strangely "bogged down" in a new way I haven't experienced before and it was sputtering massive puffs of white smoke for about 30 seconds. Pushing in the petal did not rev the engine or seem to have any effect.

Unless there's something else y'all think I should check first...Could be timing? injection/fuel issues?... IDK.
I've read through a bunch of threads concerning the Glow Plug relay. Maybe I should do a thorough investigation but I am a total newbie to electrical anything. All of the threads I've found have been over my head. I have a multimeter but I don't really know how to use it correctly. I feel like I'm gonna need someone to walk me through it like I was a 5 year old.

Last edited:

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure if you have a 6.9 or 7.3 (there are differences in the filter head.

I've had the same cold start issue for awhile on my 7.3. I did the return lines and all but 1 of the "olives" on the hard line connections. Still had issues. It is air intrusion from a leak in the return lines causing fuel to drain back towards the tank. This causes a "no fuel" issue after starting (think out of fuel). It dies then you are effectively priming the injection pump again.

I read recently that you can plug, bypass, whatever the return line from the filter head to the return lines to stop the drain back on the 7.3. I put a plug (short steel rod) in mine last week to see what happens. I now have a good starting truck again. No air to the filter means no drain back. It has only been a week, so I haven't seen if it causes any problems, but it sure is nice not to have to crank it over to reprime the injection pump. Plus it will not put as much wear on the starter.

Try at your own risk, but it has worked so far. I am still planning on tracking down the air intrusion issue. I have also been told it could be a 1 way valve on the filter head. Not sure of that, I just have other more pressing things and I will get to it as time and weather allow.

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you checked out the classic diesel design thread on the vendor thread Wes has a small check valve that holds 5psi at the mechanical lift pump I know my truck with a fairly new lift pump bleeds back a little and I installed his little check alve and it helped my cold starting 10x

Ryan Cowper

Reaction score
@Mulochico Its 7.3. I plugged that line at the filter head when my old leaky lines left me stranded in another town. It started better while it was plugged but I thought with the new return kit it'd fix that issue. Maybe not. I guess I could go back to plugging it again and see what happens.

@Oledirtypearl86 that sounds awesome. I'll check it out. (pun intended)

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There’s a service bullitin explaining how to block off the return line from the filter to alleviate drain back issues, so I would eliminate it. Here’s what the billet check valves look like:
You must be registered for see images attach

reset2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you know what the service bulletin is for the drain back issue and do you sell the check valves. Pm me with the details that would be great. I have another IDI that is used for off road wood hauling (spare parts if needed) that has the drain back issue. Thanks

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good. Hopefully, I'll be able to get mine installed soon. After it warms up of course.
If you live anywhere near me that will be a cold day in hell it was -37*f thist morning 2 rigs starteds my charger and my idi but in all reality they are worth every cent there will be one on every idi I own and count on

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I get scared even thinking of those kinds of temperatures. We were at -9 yesterday morning. I know that it's not close to the -37 that you had, but it's still colder than I like by about 50 degrees.

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know that it's not close to the -37 that you had, but it's still colder than I like by about 50 degrees.
I agree I hate it when it's that cold when your outside for 5 min starting cars and have to come inside before feeding animals it's cold but I agree when I retire In Like 40 years I want Sandy beaches and lows in the 60s that's +60*

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online