this is unbelievable

rip van sparky

Reaction score
A little while ago I posted about Puff the Magic IDI. So today the truck smoked like crazy the whole day. I've been watching the oil usage and it has been using, get this, a quart every 50 miles :***: . Positive side effects are rapid oil change intervals and an obvious increase in fuel mileage. Well the little lady laid down the law and said I actually have to do something about it this weekend. I'm not even allowed to take my kids to school in it tommorrow. I've gotten advice to check/do away with the CDR. I was wondering if anybody had additional advice. I will probably put new valve stem seals in since they are cheap as well. (Cheap is good). well thanks guys

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
When I first bought my truck, it did the same thing you describe. It actually went away for awhile. But in the end, you can see my sig for how I got it fixed.

wwwabbit

Mmmmm Diesel
Reaction score
And I thought mine was bad... I do about a quart every 300 km (~200 miles) some is burnt... more is leaked (mostly from the block->oil cooler gasket)

Cowboy_Customs

Rhinestone Cowboy
Reaction score
glad im not only one that ever had that prob! when I first got my 78 chev. (long gone now) It used a quart every 50 miles Id stop at the station n tell the atendant to check the fuel, n fill the oil! lol

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I'd throw a compression test at it for good measure. If you have good compression, but excessive blow by, that would tell you the valve stem seals are probably the main culprit. Excessive blow by will make an RDT less than practicle, and the amount of oil the CDR is possibly carrying to the intake will explain the high consumption rate. The RDT may stop the oil consumption though in either case, if you can hack the effects.

rip van sparky

Reaction score
thanks mel, what is a good compression number for these engines? Any suggestions on a good place to find a diesel comp. tester?

OkieGringo

OkieGringo aka Baja
Reaction score
I got my diesel compression gauge from www.toolaid.com and the glow plug adapter from www.starhoffman.com. The gauge was around $35.00 and the adapter was $32.03 = $12.18 shipping. Gauge part #ADT-5560. Adapter part #TU-15-22A. The glow plug adapter that I got is a good design I think. It has a 6" braided flexible hose from the gp end to the quick disconnect that makes getting into the gp holes under the center injector lines much easier without messing with the lines.

That $24.95 set from Harbor Frieght looks pretty good though. OkieGringo

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matjonbak

Staff online