Thinking of going back to the lift pump because of WMO~

Ford428CJ

FE Freak!
Reaction score
I tried my 50/50 mix and my 4600HP Carter is having a hard time with pumping the stuff.

For those who are running WMO.....What are you running for a fuel pump????

FordGuy100

Reaction score
This is a good thread. I need to know if my stock lift pump will do the job or if I have to upgrade to an electric pump. I figured the electric pumps would have been better, but thinking about it now, the stock lift pump would probably survive longer on thicker fluids.

Ford428CJ

FE Freak!
Reaction score
This is a good thread. I need to know if my stock lift pump will do the job or if I have to upgrade to an electric pump. I figured the electric pumps would have been better, but thinking about it now, the stock lift pump would probably survive longer on thicker fluids.

I'm with you on that as well! My uncle has a 7.3 and running 6gal of WMO to 1 gal of Diesel with no effects.

I had a little more then a 1/2 tank of diesel in it and decided to top it of with wmo. I filtered it down to 2microns before it went in the truck. My truck was wormed up before I tried it. It smokes when you get on it but I have my IP turned up and making upwards of 10-12 pounds of boost (normally around 8 or so). Otherwise it ran good until the pump had a hard time with it. So now I think I will put the lift pump back on it.

I just wanted to know what others are doing for pumps was all?????

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
out of curiousity, what are the technical specs of the Carter pump?
I'm running a Aritex that is rated for diesel with an operating pressure of 10-15psi.

sassyrel

Reaction score
when i started to run 100% wmo--4 years ago??? time flys------i found that when the 100% got to about 55 deg--it didnt want to pump--if you kept a steady 60 or so, you were ok. push the throttle--and she'd start to slow down--that pump was meant for a light liquid---sooooooo im going to heat the oil when it gets below 65 deg--its now contained in a 160 gal semi tank--thats insulated, and has the original stainless line inside the tank for coolant to flow thru to heat it---mel has pics of the original tank on the forum somewhere--and yes--he raised his eyebrows at me at the idi gtg we went to---i think darren thought i went off the deep end-----------nope--always thinking-----------------------------------

sassyrel

Reaction score
tow--flow and pressure aint the problem--its the thickness of the 100% or somewhat below that that bothers---the pump dont want to pull it--and i dont believe a electric would either-----

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I'm running a heavy mix in my front tank (by accident - put 40L in and then I forgot which tank and I put more in on fillup day)...LOL....Probably 70WMO/30D with the stock lift pump - works fine. My pump is starting to leak though, I'm not sure how old it is. It's got a film of WMO on it so it might be time for my new pump to go on....NIB stock pump sitting in my garage. I filled the rear tank with diesel and it starts much easier on that. As soon as the engine is warmed up some I flip the switch.

Ford428CJ

FE Freak!
Reaction score
out of curiousity, what are the technical specs of the Carter pump?
I'm running a Aritex that is rated for diesel with an operating pressure of 10-15psi.

Mine is rated for gas or diesel. 6-8 psi is what its rated at. I'm running a 50/50 mix and not heating it........

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Holley Red. After last weekend, I'll never go back to mechanical. I ran out of fuel. Yup, going up hill with supposedly 1/16th of a tank. When I first built this truck, the tank was completely empty, and I dumped 5 gallons of diesel in it, and the fuel gauge was right on the E, instead of below it. So I've always known that E meant I had 5 gallons left. Well not any more I guess. After 2 years, obviously somehting has changed, cause it left me sit just across the river from home. I knew I was out of fuel, cause I could hear the ol' Holley complaining. I left the pump run, as I could tell it was just barely sucking something up, while I routed around in the truck for something to feed it. I found a half a quart of ATF, so I dumped it in. That was enough to get me up the hill. Once on level ground, it started working better and I made it to the hardware store, where I then had to purchase a gallon of ATF to dump in and get back home. If I had a mechanical pump, I would have A) - not been able to tell what the situation in the tank was, and B) - killed my batteries cranking it. Nope, if you ask me, especially if your messing around with alternative fuels, an electric pump is more important than ever.

tractorman86

Reaction score
Holley Red. After last weekend, I'll never go back to mechanical. I ran out of fuel. Yup, going up hill with supposedly 1/16th of a tank. When I first built this truck, the tank was completely empty, and I dumped 5 gallons of diesel in it, and the fuel gauge was right on the E, instead of below it. So I've always known that E meant I had 5 gallons left. Well not any more I guess. After 2 years, obviously somehting has changed, cause it left me sit just across the river from home. I knew I was out of fuel, cause I could hear the ol' Holley complaining. I left the pump run, as I could tell it was just barely sucking something up, while I routed around in the truck for something to feed it. I found a half a quart of ATF, so I dumped it in. That was enough to get me up the hill. Once on level ground, it started working better and I made it to the hardware store, where I then had to purchase a gallon of ATF to dump in and get back home. If I had a mechanical pump, I would have A) - not been able to tell what the situation in the tank was, and B) - killed my batteries cranking it. Nope, if you ask me, especially if your messing around with alternative fuels, an electric pump is more important than ever.

THAT'S A BIG +2 i had the same deal my back tank sender just went out and i just left the pump on and cracked a few inj lines and after a few minutes of bleeding and cranking she fired right up. but make sure you tighten the heck out of the filter if it is on the suction side of the pump:rolleyes: . a holley red pump will suck a whole lot of air through a tiny leak and mess with you a bit-cuss .

77f250diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is rated for gas or diesel. 6-8 psi is what its rated at. I'm running a 50/50 mix and not heating it........

I'm surprised your having problems. I'm using the same Carter pump w/70-30 wvo blend, with no heat and no problems.
Pretty sure the Carter has a screen in it--might want to check that.

Dennis

tractorman86

Reaction score
yea i cant technically say i am heating it but is has been tripple didgets for about a month now, so it is plenty warm:D .

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
FWIW the mechanical pump will pump straight motor oil with no problem. I use the stock pump for the oil return on my turbo system.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online