Thinking long and hard about jumping over to the dark side... Not the Dodge dark side

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
To improve the ride look into a custom set of springs. These leaf springs were made when the technology was not as good as it is today. any spring manufacture can make a new spring for you cheap too. The pleasing ride of the newer trucks is the springs. nothing more. Some of the new trucks weigh more than our older rigs but they ride better. Its the springs be it coil or leaf. They don't last forever too. they do wear down.

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
To improve the ride look into a custom set of springs. These leaf springs were made when the technology was not as good as it is today. any spring manufacture can make a new spring for you cheap too. The pleasing ride of the newer trucks is the springs. nothing more. Some of the new trucks weigh more than our older rigs but they ride better. Its the springs be it coil or leaf. They don't last forever too. they do wear down.

Gary, I have to disagree a little. Yes, the TTB frontend is better when everything is in good shape including springs, and NO ADD A LEAF! 2 leaves is enough, but no matter how you look at it, it has no travel and inherent "binding" to wheel travel. Rugged, but no wheel travel.

Yep. I inhereted a 2002 F250 Super Dooty for a company truck in place of the 86, now that I'm up here in Montana. My son got the 86 as a gift. I wouldn't have wanted to drive it in the salt anyway. The 2002 rides a little better than my wifes 96 with stock F350 springs and D60. Not enough to make ME want to own a SD though. You just trade one thing for another. Not being able to get to the back of the engine, and having non serviceable wheel bearings are 2 big reasons I don't have a newer truck in my personal fleet.

If you really want to have a D60 conversion and a nice ride, take a look on Powerstroke Army and Powerstroke Nation at the info on doing a reverse shackle kit designed to use Super Duty 99-2004 springs. With the right shocks and sway bars you have 2004 handling with no downside.

Unless one trades in vehicles before they need to be fixed, the only real other choice is to find something to stick with. If you are determined to keep up a vehicle and decide it is it, it will be way better tha trading for another used vehicle cause you always end up in the same place.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone. Part of this comes down to our plan to get a bigger fifth wheel when I start traveling more for work. I feel 8-9k is the limit for my truck as it currently sits as the power limitations cause grief when pulling over the many mountain passes out here. Haven't ruled out a cummins repower either...

My wife really wants me to stick with this truck since I've done so much on it, and it's been really reliable...

I listed my truck for sale and started getting offers left and right. Perhaps that means I SHOULD be keeping it :sly

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Blow some steam off, maybe find a friend nearby who can help.

Selling a truck you've been making progress on for a used and likely undermaintained truck with unknown problems sounds bad to me.

I wanted to quit on mine a few times but its cheaper to fix and maintain than a younger PSD. And its much simpler than a newer truck, no computer. Only one wire to keep it running. With a tool bag and some knowledge you could fix most problems out on the road.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone. Part of this comes down to our plan to get a bigger fifth wheel when I start traveling more for work. I feel 8-9k is the limit for my truck as it currently sits as the power limitations cause grief when pulling over the many mountain passes out here. Haven't ruled out a cummins repower either...

My wife really wants me to stick with this truck since I've done so much on it, and it's been really reliable...

I listed my truck for sale and started getting offers left and right. Perhaps that means I SHOULD be keeping it :sly

i don't know how often you use the truck for anything besides 5ver towing duty,but don't forget if you need more,a set of 4.56 gears is always an option and a cheap way to add grunt to a truck if not used as a daily driver.
tow gears make a world of difference.unfortunately they don't help fuel economy,so it really depends on how ya use the truck.this is why im pretty happy my heavy f450 has the 5.13's.she's only going to get used when working of course,so this combined with a banks......holy crap she's gunna be a stump puller.:D
guess i should bundle up and get out there.it's time to set the turbo on.:sly

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online