Thinking about going from Ford to Dodge!

7.3IDIDSL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I currently own a 1993 Ford with the 7.3 idi diesel but for the past few months ive been looking for a newer truck. I went and looked at a few 05 Fords with the 6.0L and while i like the looks of the ford truck alot i just dont really want to buy a 6.0L because of the problems they are known to have. So i decided to start looking at dodge trucks. I found 2 2001 Dodge trucks for sale where i live and i was just wondering if you guys can give your opinion on the trucks im looking at and are there any common problems with these trucks that i should look for when looking at them? Thanks

I know a fair bit about the cummins motor but not much about the trucks in general.

Heres the 2 trucks im looking at.
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/cto/989784228.html
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/cto/985512688.html

Whit

Reaction score
both those trucks are nice and seam to be cared for but I think they are too high in price......should be able to get an 01 for 14-15k

98.5 to 02 is VP-44 pumped trucks so the big concern with them is having a good lift pump as 80% of the fuel circulation is for cooling and lubricating of the VP-44.....the truck may run without a lift pump but you will kill the VP in time, I would check the codes with a reader on the dataport and see what come up, also check the whole front end components, track bar, tie rods and everything else up there

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Prices are way too high.

I paid $18k for my 04 dually back 9 or 10 months ago before the truck market totally went to chit.

I like my Dodge, ALOT!!!

7.3IDIDSL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive been watching trucks on craigslist for awhile and the white one has been on there for about a month and a half so im sure i can try and talk to guy down a little. The prices of the trucks im looking at are in cdn dollars incase you guys didnt know. If you guys were going to go buy the trucks what sort of price would you offer?

Im thinking im better off going with the red dodge because as far as i can tell the motor is stock. The white truck already has gauges in it and i wouldnt be surprised if it was chipped at some point. Im not saying there it nothing wrong with that but i would feel better buying a truck that hasnt been previously modded. Also i would rather have a red truck than a white one.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lots of cheap used diesels down here right now so figure out what you want, look hard and be patient.

Good luck

chandler583

Reaction score
I would not pay more than $10,000 USD for a truck that old and decent mileage on it. But that is just me, but I'm also cheap and looking for a truck.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Nothing against the Dodge, they are a good truck and will run "forever" even being turned up. But, don't count out the 6.0 in a Ford. If you are looking at one, have an OASIS report run at a dealer and see what the truck has/has not been in for. The big thing is that leave a 6.0 in stock trim they are a good engine. I am very happy with mine and have had very little trouble with it. It has plenty of power in stock trim and the TorqShift 5 speed Auto is a very good transmission. Travis (argve) has driven my Ex and he said that he would not turn it up, that it has plenty of power the way it is. I tows my 5k lb TT like it is not back there. There has been trouble with the 6.0, but the blanket statement that we all hear that "All 6.0L are junk" really is not a fair statement. If you get an 06-07 they are vary good, and the older ones, that have a good amount of mileage on them, have probally had most of the bugs worked out of them. Just my $.02......