thermostat location

farriswheel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just bought a new thermostat, and i can't find where it goes. and i lost my manual. where do i put it? thanks

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Follow the top radiator hose back to the engine, you'll see it connecting to a big water neck right behind the alternator and next to the fuel filter tower - the thermostat is under this water neck, unfortunately to get to it you'll need to remove both the alternator and the fuel filter and tower.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Most all of the above is true but... Just remove the fuel filter mount and not the actual filter. That way you wont be getting any air into the fuel system. Use only the factory correct thermostat. Other aftermarket stats will fit but will not keep these motors cool.

hoodshauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most all of the above is true but... Just remove the fuel filter mount and not the actual filter. That way you wont be getting any air into the fuel system. Use only the factory correct thermostat. Other aftermarket stats will fit but will not keep these motors cool.
I second what Gary said after market thermostats do not work in these trucks.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Coolant Thermostat's
International 1824426C92 192*
International 1812314C94 203*
Ford F6TZ 8575 AA 192*
AutoZone 4399 192*

farriswheel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh i just went to autozone and asked for one for my truck. i appreciate the help!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Autozone wont have the correct stat. They are only available at the dealer or International. Don't make a mistake and buy the wrong one... It will cost you a motor. Only one member is running a non factory stat and getting away with it. I do respect him but still wonder how its working too....:dunno

farriswheel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how? they said it was for my truck. i just want to run into town and get it

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
What is the factory (OEM) thermostat temperature for these trucks? I've owned 4 IDIs now, and NEVER had to replace a thermostat in any of them.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
There is only one thermostat and its a 192 degree itam. As said before... Others will fit but they are the wrong part. Read what old bull posted. The part number is there so get it.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never been comfortable buying any thermostat other than one from Motorcraft or IH. A member here by the name of Jim did some extensive research and testing, and basically ok'ed one aftermarket thermostat, but it's too hard to rememember which one, so we all usually just recommend the Motorcraft one. This is one small inexpensive part that you do not want to trust to Autozone or Advance or Napa. I got jammed up and had to get U-joints at Advance, rather than Ford, and now the Moose Truck relies on the output of overworked, unhappy exploited chinese people instead of the good high paid folks at Dana or Spicer. cookoo

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing you have to do when replaceing the t'stat is too make sure the check ball is not plugged up and rattles freely, shake it to make sure. Make sure the gasket doesn't cover that hole when installing.

The other pic's of the t'stat, was when I tore down the engine on the 92 IDI that was completely burned up, pistons cracked and bearings melted. That's what can come from a wrong t'stat.

You must be registered for see images