The wrecker from hell

Jarlaxle

Bregan D'aerthe
Reaction score
Seen yesterday, 1984 RB-series Mack Econodyne (the one with the funky off-center cab) 10-wheeler, set up as a heavy haul semi wrecker! The driver said it started life as a trash truck. It has a rather-smoky Mack diesel with "not enough" power, a 5-speed with no reverse & a 2-speed auxiliary with reverse (yes, you can run up through the gears backwards), 24" Dayton wheels with 11.00-24 bias-ply tube tires (the ride must be absolutely bone-jarring), ram-assist power steering, and leaf springs all around. Sorry...I'll stick to the old International, thank you.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you're not talking about this truck are ya?

Attachments

• MrBigStuff.jpg
    MrBigStuff.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 82
  • DMwrecker002.jpg
    DMwrecker002.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 78

Jarlaxle

Bregan D'aerthe
Reaction score
Nope--this truck was faded blue and much more work-worn than that one. It also seems it was a bit shorter than that one, and had no push bumper.

maniac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you're not talking about this truck are ya?

GEEZ, I remember High point garage, are they still in buisness?

And I believe those were "U" model macks, offset cab, gearshift came out of the floor under the passeger seat

Sbrem

Reaction score
maniac said:
And I believe those were "U" model macks, offset cab, gearshift came out of the floor under the passeger seat

The "U" and the "DM" both had the offset cab.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OH yea....Highpoint is still very much in business. The owner has a obsessive love for restoring old heavys and putting them on the road still. He's on my list for a visit when I am up in NYC/NYS area this next spring.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jarlaxle said:
a 5-speed with no reverse & a 2-speed auxiliary with reverse (yes, you can run up through the gears backwards),

I have had the honor of driving many a DM or R Mack with the 2-pole auxilliary.

237 or 300 Macksedyne with Mack all wheel drive tandems and tri-axle.

I have even drove a few with the aux. on a trigger on the main pole.

Real tough old trucks.

Freightrain

Just "B" it........
Reaction score
Yup, Steve is still alive and well at Highpoint. He's a B model guy too, and loves to tinker with them all. Usually finds some decent stuff hiding in weird places.

I'd like to stop and just poke around his place. Bet it's a big boys toybox.

DmaxEter

Meet Mike Hawk
Reaction score
And here's a REAL Mack. We will start the restoration when we finish the 48 EG Mack.

Attachments

• PDT 064.jpg
    PDT 064.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 26
  • PDT 063.jpg
    PDT 063.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 20
  • PDT 067.jpg
    PDT 067.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 17

mocetane

Reaction score
DmaxEter said:
And here's a REAL Mack. We will start the restoration when we finish the 48 EG Mack.

Now I am GD#@&%!!! jealous as hell.
Years ago I tried and tried to buy a similar Mack from some old POS dude.
He would not sell it to me. A few years later I found out he sold it to a scrap yard. GDMFB. -cuss -cuss -cuss -cuss -cuss -cuss -cuss :draw
I am still pissed after all these years ;Really

DmaxEter

Meet Mike Hawk
Reaction score
mocetane said:
Now I am GD#@&%!!! jealous as hell.
Years ago I tried and tried to buy a similar Mack from some old POS dude.
He would not sell it to me. A few years later I found out he sold it to a scrap yard. GDMFB. -cuss -cuss -cuss -cuss -cuss -cuss -cuss :draw
I am still pissed after all these years ;Really
Thats a shame. The one pictured is a 1925AC. They arent too bad to find if you look hard enough. Most will not have original engines though. Small block chevys were popular conversions. this one is all original condidtion. It was sold new to a bakery in Joplin MO in 1925.

Freightrain

Just "B" it........
Reaction score
"It has a rather-smoky Mack diesel with "not enough" power, a 5-speed with no reverse & a 2-speed auxiliary with reverse (yes, you can run up through the gears backwards)"

BTW, the tranny in the two truck is a 2 stick 6 spd. Ya, rev/od is one stick, the other is 5 spd. Don't hold me to it, but pretty sure. That was a common tranny in those days. Most all the Mack motors in that era were grunt motors, so you didn't have alot of gear choices since it would lug down to 1100 rpm. They tend to very VERY smoky too...LOL!!! Ah, but that's a good thing!!

Yes, you could shift reverse 5 times. My old triplex can shift three in reverse.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7