The relationship between timing and fuel mileage?

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having read some of Mel's posts, I understand that there is a strong relationship between timing and mileage. Has anyone done any analysis of the relationship and how many miles per gallon a degree of timing can cost you if it's not right?

DieselDon

Reaction score
Up to a point, advancing the timing may increase mileage depending where you are starting from. In a stock 6.9, timing should be around 8 degree BTDC using line pressure timing: .5 degree ATDC using luminosity timing.

On a 7.3 IDI, best timing is between 8 & 10 degrees BTDC. Proper setting will give you the best mileage and performance. It will also help starting. As you increase the timing, the engine noise will increase. My nephew just set his 88 7.3 IDI at 10 degrees BTDC and said it made a big difference. he didn't tell me where the timing was originally.

You can go too far with the timing and performance will start to drop off and you'll start to get increased black smoke. It's also harder on GPs.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DieselDon said:
My nephew just set his 88 7.3 IDI at 10 degrees BTDC and said it made a big difference. .
As in how, mileage-noise?
Also (if) advancing helps starting how would it be ******* GP's ?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don, I see from your profile that you are the famous dieseldon of TDS fame. So glad you could join us here at OB. This is where all the real talent is.

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agnem said:
This is where all the real talent is.

Yeah, Mel. I hear that. As many of you know, Pete Fred and me (and of course y'self) are probably the only ones left still clinging to ? whatever over there. Somedays I feel like an old Grandpa surrounded by little wide-eyed kids all asking the same questions that have been hashed over and over and over....(sigh) some days I wanna just :puke: -cuss

Well, maybe it's time to slide over here a bit more often....

Zigg :)

Oh, and didn't mean to hijack the post....Hi Deiseldon!!

...My impression of the timing thing. It's kinda like timing in a gasser. If you advance it too far, then the combustion is trying to push the piston back down from where it came before it reaches TDC(on the upstroke) and energy is wasted. There's a lot more to it, but essentially this wasted energy equates to poor fuel economy, never mind what it's doing to the internals of the engine in terms of stress etc. Not sure why it affects the glowplugs...

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
zigg said:
Yeah, Mel. I hear that. As many of you know, Pete Fred and me (and of course y'self) are probably the only ones left still clinging to ? whatever over there. Somedays I feel like an old Grandpa surrounded by little wide-eyed kids all asking the same questions that have been hashed over and over and over....(sigh) some days I wanna just :puke: -cuss

Well, maybe it's time to slide over here a bit more often....

Zigg :)

Oh, and didn't mean to hijack the post....Hi Deiseldon!!

...My impression of the timing thing. It's kinda like timing in a gasser. If you advance it too far, then the combustion is trying to push the piston back down from where it came before it reaches TDC(on the upstroke) and energy is wasted. There's a lot more to it, but essentially this wasted energy equates to poor fuel economy, never mind what it's doing to the internals of the engine in terms of stress etc. Not sure why it affects the glowplugs...
zigg-
you may be the first IDI vet who will get banned for "bad langauge" over at STD... :eek:
I saw your post on sucessfully pulling the upipe and almost got coffee all over my keyboard..... ;Sweet .....you're brave for putting "damn" in your title. Not to mention where you were while hitting on the slidehammer....
don-
good to see you here too ;Sweet

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing Zigg. Glad you've at least got a foot in the boat. Don't ya wish we had something like the IDI tech articles and FAQ, back at TDS? Just think of all the cases of carpel tunnel we could have prevented. :rolleyes:

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
zigg, mel, and company:
I've been on a dozen bbs's and it is always the same way.
there were two plant based (my specialty, I know damn near everything about things that grow) that I started back in '97 (and many others I frequented).
after half a decade explaining the basic stuff to people that were too ignorant to look it up themselves I took a back seat....
of course than came the insult of being treated as a 'newbie' by the new wave of 'experts'

as a matter of fact, one board was started in the same manner as oilburners... an overzealous 'owner' of the board alienated the true community.

screw it, don't reply to things that arn't of interest, and don't blame the new guys... I have owned a diesel for 8months, 18,000miles.... and I certainly don't know jack.
just the same, if you need some advice on growing anything from fungi on agar dishes, to a 100acre plantation of pecans, gimmie a call :)

ohh, and know, you are all appreciated, some of us depend on the wisdom of this place to stay in business/keep the family fed.

drew

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
drew-
don't get mel wrong about the fresh kill that is dragged in from time to time :rotflmao There's a difference between being new and being able to use FUNCTIONING search engine (STD's search engine has got to be the bane of BBS's) and asking intelligen questions after not finding the answer. I can't hold it against the noobs at STD due to the fact of the sucky seach feature. But then again, its not in good business interest for a profit focused BBS to have a good search feature. Why? Advertisers like to see posting traffic. More posting traffic means more warm bodies are here. It doesn't matter about the quality of the posts and the community it attracts. Especially when you are talking about the newer trucks where there are hi-po parts to be sold. That is why it is so glaringly obvious in the basement.
Here's one for you Drew....do I need to do anything to my Pecan trees in the wintertime so I can get a larger harvest next season?

DieselDon

Reaction score
Timing vs GP durability

HammerDown said:
As in how, mileage-noise?
Also (if) advancing helps starting how would it be ******* GP's ?

More advance. hotter combustion temps and higher pressure which can damage GPs.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
in texas or cali, water in the off season is key. too damn dry in either place.
obviously good soil helps too.
in texas, the tent caterpillars wreck alot of the new growth, so burn them out....

pecans only have a short 'high productivity' time. generally years 7-12 around here. after that they kinda produce alot less.
the commercial operations here transplant them to the field when they are 10ft tall and cut them down after a few years/replant youngones.

ok ok, this thread had a topic... which i'm not adding to.

later
dp

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cheezus,

I guess I shoulda asked a question about pecan trees. Maybe I woulda got more on timing an IDI. Glad to see such talented guys here on OB, though! ;Sweet

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Full Monte said:
Cheezus,

I guess I shoulda asked a question about pecan trees. Maybe I woulda got more on timing an IDI. Glad to see such talented guys here on OB, though! ;Sweet
monte-
I just timed your truck. I dont' thinkyou have enough miles on it to see what the mileage looks like :D

160k87F250

not rocket science
Reaction score
towcat said:
zigg-
you may be the first IDI vet who will get banned for "bad langauge" over at STD...

I may be dumb, but what is STD, is it another name for The Diesel Stop??
John

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
160k87F250 said:
I may be dumb, but what is STD, is it another name for The Diesel Stop??
John
Yep! TheDieselStop (aka TheDramaStop) is often shortened to TDS. Someone on here had a case of selective dyslexia one evening and "accidentally" typed "STD" instead of "TDS" in a thread...and, thus, a monster was born.

Of course, you know what the "other" meaning for STD is... :shocked:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online