The Powersmoke is broken down. Bad.

spencnaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I appreciate the offer, but I should really get something newer. I'm asking 3,000 or best offer for the truck. It has a bunch of recent parts, tires and a GV overdrive installed which is worth the price of the truck.

I found a 2001 7.3 2WD with a manual transmission that is a smoking deal over here in Idaho, I'll have to see if the bank can lend me the money.

Email me for pics and I'll send them to you.

spencnaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok guys,

One more day before I throw this truck up on craigslist and someone else gets it. If there is a classified section on here, I'll put it up there too.

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
good luck with your power stroke. they hate the idi's at the dealership cause they dont see them enough to make any money on them. They sure do love those powerstrokes though.

"a ford on a hook, damn we dont see that everyday" my shop foreman.

punk

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I appreciate the offer, but I should really get something newer. I'm asking 3,000 or best offer for the truck. It has a bunch of recent parts, tires and a GV overdrive installed which is worth the price of the truck.

I found a 2001 7.3 2WD with a manual transmission that is a smoking deal over here in Idaho, I'll have to see if the bank can lend me the money.

Email me for pics and I'll send them to you.

Someday you will look back and say... damn. I made a mistake. Mark my words.

spencnaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Perhaps, but I'm a pretty good mechanic. I just don't have the facilities to do a full heart transplant like you, Mel. Sure wish I did.

I will say this, Mel. Your article on this and the other websites had been a great help in diagnosing problems with the Powersmoke. The newer 7.3 Powerstrokes don't scare me, it's the nightmare of a 6.0 or the 6.4 that I steer clear of.

Ford428CJ

FE Freak!
Reaction score

I can't say that. Don't get me wrong, since I did have a 6.9 in my 79! It was cool but I get better mileage and pulling power out of my Sick Litter (6.0) LOL.;Sweet I know....I know.... Until it brakes.. Right?!?!?! LOL

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
the 6.0 and 7.3 are great motors even in stock trim. the problems arise when you go out side of stock considerations (really long idle time, too many miles, aftermarket crap, etc ) then you have issues. I love the 7.3 stroke and will have one, but Im gonna put it in a truck and wire it and what not, I also have the ngs scan tool and will likely be buying the 2500 dollar ids at some point. That means I can diag AND repair my rigs. the art of turning wrenches is lost on the newer stuff, plug in a computer, find the problem part and replace it.

punk

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do realize the 7.3 PSD is not a bad engine, and perhaps in another platform almost as easy to work on as an IDI. I also realize there will be many that go trouble free longer than mine did. All things considered, perhaps it has been more reliable than my IDI, in the sense that it went more miles before having issues, but.... it's reliability may have been oversold or misrepresented in my mind. Consequently my expectations may have been higher than they should have been. One can't argue though with the price of parts. There is no doubt that it is more expensive to maintain. Facilities aside, if your financially limited, your less likely to survive owning a PSD then an IDI.

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
I second what agnem just said. The average bill for an idi in the shop is around 500, the average bill for a stroke is about 2000. injectors for an idi are 250, one injector for a stroke is 250. I have seen both engines with 500k miles and I have worked on both. I dont mind working on the stroke, I like the added power, but I would never have ONLY a stroke. something very unnerving to me about being stranded due to a sensor going out, the idi has always got me home, hopefully the stroke will most of the time.

punk

spencnaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to email pictures to a potential buyer this evening. Going once, going twice......

spencnaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I'm posting pics on the classifieds section here.

spencnaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok the classifieds post is up. The title for the truck is clear.

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd try and fix it personally, with as much money as you have in it, but in the end it's up to you.

Also, I'd part it out, as a busted truck doesn't really scream 'buy me'. You'd be much further ahead in the long run, you could probably sell enough parts to pay cash for your PSD that you're looking at. Just some food for thought, good luck either way.

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't say that. Don't get me wrong, since I did have a 6.9 in my 79! It was cool but I get better mileage and pulling power out of my Sick Litter (6.0) LOL.;Sweet I know....I know.... Until it brakes.. Right?!?!?! LOL

No I think its called the six LEAKER LOL.

I have to agree with mel, you are probably going to regret this. You know from the get-go you are losing money because like you said the GV is worth what you are selling the whole damn truck for. If you were closer I have a crank you can have, and I'd help do it on a Saturday or somethin.;Sweet

But if I was closer I would probably Buy it thenLOL