The order of filters in filtering setups, water filter location

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The filters I use in my setup are used right now to mix diesel fuel & wmo together before I spin it through the CF, and or a prefilter.
This is the order of my filters, 10 micron engine oil filter,(PH8A Fram), water filter from a local farm store, then a 1 micron filter from the same farm store.
The question is should the water filter be after the 1 micron to prolong it's life??
I figured it should be after the 10 micron filter, but would it best to put it last??
Most water filters have a particle rating, right??? (10 microns??)
Or is this not a problem?
All right guys let me have it.:idiot: what do ya think.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
It really depends on the water filter. I have three water filters in my system. 10 micron, 5 micron, then 1 micron. It then passes though another 1 micron fuel/water seperator filter. Seems to work well as i have yet to plug a filter on the truck. they stay clean as long as it does on regular diesel.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 80 micron screen for the large pieces of crap and then I put it through a Goldenrod waterblock. The next one is a 10 micron with a water separator and the final is a 2 micron filter.

sassyrel

Reaction score
the oil filters,,on nearly any car or pickup engine,,are 20 micron non absolute.....the fuel filters,,that were in the steel canisters,,on the old dd diesels,,were 10 and 5 micron...

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After seeing some of these setups, I think mine will be okay.
Towcat,
I did fail to mention, I've got one of those screens as the first "filter". I'm glad to see someone putting a micron rating on those, asking around I really couldn't get a good answer.
As far as my stock fuel filter on the pickup, its been doing ok, I figured running wmo through the winter might pose a problem.
But I do switch to regular diesel before I shutdown, so maybe that helps, with warmer weather I might leave it on wmo most of the time.
Thanks again guys, with the on going education of running wmo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert