The F350

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking for a potential donor truck for the F150 I recently purchased, I saw an ad in the local paper that caught my eye. All it said was: "1987 F350 motor blown complete $600" and the phone number. Assuming it was a two wheel drive standard cab longbed, I called the guy (Bob). Surprisingly, it was a crew cab 4X4 dually. It had a 460 that was blown and it had been sitting for a couple of years. The town was over an hour away from the house, but I figured it was worth a drive to take a look at it and see what he had.

I made the trip out on Monday, May 23rd. This is what I found:

You must be registered for see images

I'm pretty sure that this truck is not an actual Super Duty, it just has different fenders than stock. Actually, I believe the entire front end has been replaced because it's got the 87-91 front end but it's listed as a 1985 on the title. It has the 80-86 dash as well.

As you can see, it's a pretty straight truck. And here's when I started to get excited:

That is a genuine kingpin Dana 60! The guy wanted about half of what it alone was worth for the whole truck! I couldn't believe my good luck! Thinking it must be too good to be true, I asked him some more detailed questions.

Bob worked for Metro New Holland (a small independent New Holland dealership) for several years until 2008, when the owner of the company dropped a crate 460 in this truck. He let one of his younger baler mechanics use it and less than a thousand miles later, one of the head gaskets failed and the engine over heated. So the truck ended up sitting in a corner of the yard for several months until Bob offered to buy it, thinking he could replace the head gaskets and have a 4X4 full-size truck with a basically new engine for about $1K. He towed it home with the intention of replacing the head gaskets. Once he pulled the heads off the motor, he realized the block had cracked (apparently the crank had broken too). Not planning on buying a whole new motor, he got discouraged and the truck sat from 2008 until present. He had been out of work for almost two years, was several months behind on his mortgage, and was having health problems when he realized that he wasn't going to be able to get around to fixing up this truck. So he ran an ad in the paper. I happened to be the first to call.

I checked the VIN on the dash against the VIN on the title and they matched. Problem was, Bob hadn't transferred the title into his name when he bought it from Metro New Holland. So I told him the only way I'd buy the truck was if he rode to the Department of Licensing with me and we figured out what was required by the State of Washington. He agreed, so we took about a 45-minute drive, took care of the paperwork and I drove him back to his house.

Here's a pic of us loading it on the rental trailer I drug out to Bob's house on Tuesday, May 24th (we pulled the outer rear wheels off because they would have blocked the taillights on the trailer had we left them on):

It's also got Firestone Ride Rite air bags in the rear, a B&W fifth wheel hitch in the bed and the cab marker lights (you can see those in the pics). In the rear seat is a (basically new) Edelbrock carb and intake manifold, plus a bunch of marked parts from the 460. The interior is in decent shape, it's not hammered but it's not show condition either.

Considering the price of scrap in the area right now, I'll probably end up with about $175-200 worth of steel that I won't need off this truck as it sits. It's also got a C6 tranny, which isn't my first choice.

This truck needs a new motor and I'm not too keen on the transmission it has; I'm seriously considering a DT 360 repower with some kind of medium-duty tranny and rear end. I've got my eye out for a DT 360 on craigslist, but no luck so far. The idea is for power in the 600-800 hp range. I'm not stuck to that, but that's the plan for now. It'd be great to top 1500 hp, but I don't think I want to spend that kind of $ at the moment. I'm not in a hurry, so I'll buy the engine, tranny and rear end as I find them (for reasonable prices).

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
i think your best bet for getting a dt360 is to buy a school bus, the bigger the better. then you have your 360 and all the wiring and everything for it, a transmission, and a lot of scrap weight to get some of the money back. if i remember right 93 was the best year for the 360, something was different that year. also the last year for the 360 i believe

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i think your best bet for getting a dt360 is to buy a school bus, the bigger the better. then you have your 360 and all the wiring and everything for it, a transmission, and a lot of scrap weight to get some of the money back.

I follow your reasoning, the only problem is I'm now limited on space (there's no way I can squeeze a school bus on the property right now). That's why I'm thinking of picking things up one part at a time.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Does that thing have discs or drums on the rear? Those wheels do not look muchl like f350 wheels

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does that thing have discs or drums on the rear? Those wheels do not look much like f350 wheels

Drums. The wheels do look a little weird, they've got covers like I've never seen on an F-Series. I assumed the rear wheels were chrome until we removed the outer wheel to load onto the trailer and the chrome piece ended up being a wheel cover. The wheel itself was just a painted steel wheel. Also, the covers for the lugnuts are unlike any I've ever seen (though that may just be inexperience on my part, I'm not very familiar with dually options).

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
oh, you should be able to tell if its super duty or not by the frame rails. f superduty trucks have taller/wider frame rails.

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
oh, you should be able to tell if its super duty or not by the frame rails. f superduty trucks have taller/wider frame rails.

That being the case, this truck is NOT a Super Duty. The frame dimensions are the same as my '80 F150 and '89 F250.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
also f superduty is 10 lug. f350 is only 8 lug. plus i dont beilve they had a f superduty in 85.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
also f superduty is 10 lug. f350 is only 8 lug. plus i dont beilve they had a f superduty in 85.

I'm not so sure about that one. I've see quite a few references to 8 lug on the earlier f superdutys . Ford did a lot of waffling around on axles and wheels on these things

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
well.. the truck i got my d60 out from under was an 88 idi with f super duty springs that had factory rivets. so it mustve been a super duty truck, maybe somebody added the 60 front? both axles were 8 lug.. maybe they switched out the rear axle too, i dunno. it looked like a typical ext cab long bed idi. but those hangers were definitely riveted on. actually was a 10 leaf pack, not an 8 like my f super duty springs. i dont know what to make of it. the badges were taken off the fenders already. i hope its there next time i am though, i'll do a little more digging and figure out what exactly it is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GaryB

Members online