The Brown Truck went down like a champ, in flames of glory!

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
Murphy has Sean on speed dial. It's definitely not fun when you get one problem fixed just to discover another. Hope you get back on the road soon.

Iowa 73

FNM
Reaction score
I haul all of my of old Fords around with a Cummins too...
No comparison towing with the latest generation of diesels: power and control.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Must be a bullnose thing. One of my buddies had 2 burn up on him. And another guy I ran into said he had one burn up. Makes me want to go through the wiring on my truck and make sure it's up to par haha

Wouldnt be a bad idea considering the age of some of our trucks and god only knows what a previous owner had installed or taken out over the years.first thing i do when i buy something is go through the wiring.there are alot of hacks out there.even some of the wiring jobs ive seen on our members trucks make me cringe.

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya I already ripped out a ton of wire that was just hot wire cut of at different spots. And the previous owner hooked up l.e.d brake lights that only work when my headlights are off. Makes me worry haha

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
not tryin to thread jack.i know its not an idi or even a ford but its on the subject of burnt trucks.mine burnt last Monday.something behind the back seat caught on fire.idk what.but I got motivated to try an finish my idi after this.btw sorry about your.youll have her goin in no time

Attachments

• my truck 3.jpg
    my truck 3.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 8
  • untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I have the glow plug controller completely removed from the equation on all of my trucks, even the OBS ones. I run a push button controlled system with large 4ga wire running to the solenoid. I had an electrical issue with this truck when I bought it, so I put relays on every system I could think of, using the factory wiring only as the signal switch wire for the relay. I guess maybe one of my relays might have fried causing a feedback from the battery, I honestly don't know. All I know is what I have in there right now is a mess. There's no fixing it without replacing it. Honestly what I'm thinking about doing is, if I can get my hands on an unmolested wiring harness, is to send it to Painless Wiring. What I'd do is have them reverse engineer the harness to include a relay box for every system, like a modern vehicle has.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Some time ago there was a post (not sure by who) regarding a single brown wire under the dash somewhere that was an issue with slantnose rigs, apperently they are always hot and can burn up at any time. I have searched for it as I to am always worried about the wiring in our old rigs.
I haven't replaced much in mine, just do my best to keep all the contacts and plugs clean and use di-electric grease. I don't run factory controllers in any rigs, but in my current 84, im just running a push button controlled wire to the relay; so still using the OEM system minus the controller.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
I have the glow plug controller completely removed from the equation on all of my trucks, even the OBS ones. I run a push button controlled system with large 4ga wire running to the solenoid. I had an electrical issue with this truck when I bought it, so I put relays on every system I could think of, using the factory wiring only as the signal switch wire for the relay. I guess maybe one of my relays might have fried causing a feedback from the battery, I honestly don't know. All I know is what I have in there right now is a mess. There's no fixing it without replacing it. Honestly what I'm thinking about doing is, if I can get my hands on an unmolested wiring harness, is to send it to Painless Wiring. What I'd do is have them reverse engineer the harness to include a relay box for every system, like a modern vehicle has.

That would be nice. My truck could stand a rewiring. Ive done a lot to it and its just kind of a mess. All the connections are solid and everything theres just a lot of new wires haha.

Rich Ive seen the worst job ever on a 91 chevy half ton. They put in a new stereo, some walmart fog lights and a cheap cb. All were wired with 22 gauge wire. No connections were made, just twisted together and duct taped. no wire was more than 4 foot long, every color imaginable was used FOR THE SAME CONNECTION!!!!! One strand had about 4 different colors to make up a 6 foot long run.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, Ford is better than Volvo..... they used wiring in the engine harness for about 7 years where the insulation would rot and flake off, or just plain turn into goo - typically buried deep inside the harness where you never see it too. And these are EFI cars, so you get all sorts of weird problems.

And it's all cause someone had the bright idea of being green and using some sort of biodegradable insulation.... sound idea, but maybe not the best one. LOL

Also bring to mind the early k-jetronic fuel injected cars - all of the 40 some wires in the fuel injection system were the same color and gauge...... they had very small numbers printed on them to id different wires, but naturally these are impossible to read by now. Makes troubleshooting great fun....

Brucekoukalaka

Reaction score
I'm re-wiring my IDI powered 1953 International because both the 'Binder and the '91 F350's wiring harnesses were butchered to the point of being dangerous.

rbcorn2

Reaction score
My 89 F250 7.3 - replaced the Starter Solenoid, Positive battery cable, then the starter switch only to find the "notorious" melting plug.
I can just rewire but I saw your post - how much do you want for your harness?

Thankx!

Rob