The 87 F350 will live again soon.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 87 F350 will live again

Well folks I walked into a sweet deal a couple weekends ago and made arrangements to get it this weekend. A farmer who had some trees in his field that he wanted down had an 87 F250 2WD with 6.9 backed by a C6 and power everything sitting back by his barn. I was able to work a deal where I went out today and cut a bunch of other trees down for him in his field and got the truck in trade. I'll be picking it up tomorrow and yanking the engine to drop in my F350. I'll have some parts floating that I won't need after this is done so let me know what others might be needing. The C6 is definitely up for grabs as I have no need for one. Front suspension is up for grabs also. Anything else shoot me a PM and well see if it has what you need.

Last edited:

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm down in Beaumont Texas. The AC compressor is staying around to be put on the 92 to get it's AC running. I just wish it was a CrewCab as I need a driver rear window for my 92.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I don't think the ac compressoer will fit on the 92 truck if it has a serpentine belt setup. Otherwise they will swap over fine but they both need to be a v-belt system like the 87 has. The 6.9 to 7.3 wont make any differance at all. Really the same blocks with all the same accessory mounting points.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They're both V-belt setups. 92 was a mid year switch to Serp belts on the diesels. I mainly need to get the 87 up and running so I can yank the E40D out of the 92 and do a rebuild on it so it shifts right. The people who I bought it from had it rebuilt by someone who didn't know what they were doing as it flares horribly and the FIPL was way out of adjustment. When I have it apart I'm going to do a couple tricks I learned over the years to bulletproof the trans completely.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it works it's yours.Shoot me a PM and we'll hash out the details. I'll try to fire it up tomorrow night to pull it up on the trailer and make sure the gauges work. It does have the tach in by the way.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay got the parts truck home tonight about 8PM. Played with it for a bit and found it's build date is 10/87 and the build info on the valve cover tell me I'm not as happy as I was. I'll evidently be running a 7.3 till I get the old 6.9 rebuilt and running again. The fuel is yellow but it still smells usable so when I get home tomorrow as long as the reported cold front doesn't get as cold as they think(possible 15*) I'll have her running tomorrow and will be able to do some more in depth checks. Radiator looks good and the AC still has pressure so it appears the condenser is okay. Trans is an oily mess but it's a C6 so that normal. Both tanks look good but I'll be pulling the senders to see if they're intact. Fuel switching valve works though I think I'll be running my 6.9 wiring harness and adapting the 7.3s filter head over so I have the good fuel heater in the filter head.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay after messing with it for about a hour tonight I got it fired up and running and made it drags itself off the trailer and over into the yard for now. The only issue with the cluster is the voltmeter doesn't read anything. Other then that everything works just fine. I'll be saving the entire interior as the interior is gorgeous and I'll eventually be converting the 4X4 over to power windows and door locks.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure Zukinut said he wanted the cluster and I was just letting him know what I had found out so far.

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
If he decides he wants it, and they are the same, you can use the volt meter I have to make a complete working unit. You/he can have it for the shipping.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We'll see what he says when he chimes in. I'm just pleased it runs. I wish it was a 6.9 but it will get me around till mine is fixed.

zukinut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All my gauges work except the speedo. It works but only above 45mph. It bounces around like crazy at lower speeds. Does it have a tripometer. If so how much do you want for it.

Will