The 2017 Fall Rally is Ofically ON!

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
We are doing it again this year! Lori and I are Honored to host the 11th Annual East Lake Camping Oilburners Fall Get Together! (AKA Big Ed didn't make it to the Rally, Rally)

Where: Eastlake Campgrounds, Hopkins MI. http://www.eastlakecamping.com/

When: September, Sept 28th to Oct 1 . Most will come in on Friday the 29rd, but we will be there Thurs the 28th for anyone that can make it that early.

Who: Whoever wants to attend, With or without an IDI or a Diesel for that matter, Bring what you can bring, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Volvo Wagon, Bike,..whatever,.

Why: Because it is Buy one Night, get one night Free Camping! cant beat that! See the website for the coupon.

This is an event that Lori and I have been putting this on every year just an excuse to have a laid back camping weekend with friends. No events are planned but we usually end up blowing something up and giving us something to fix, Making a Junkyard run to the local Pick and Pull, or go to my shop to fix whatever we broke.

Like last year, I have GOOD News and the BAD News on the campsites;

GOOD News: They have revamped all of the campsites and made them larger.

BAD News , There aren't as many to campsites to choose from, so space may be limited. MAKE YOUR RESERVATIONS ASAP PLEASE!

Right now I have 8 campsites, on hold for the group. There is a Cabin and a Rental Trailer that are available as of now as well. THESE WILL BE HELD UNTILL AUGUST 31ST, Please get your reservation in early!

Here is the number, 269-793-7177 Cathy or Sandy. When you call in please let them know that you are with Darrin Tosh and the Ford Diesel Truck Get Together.

Address is
East Lake Campground
3091 Weicks Drive
Hopkins, MI 49328

If you have any questions or suggestions please let me know! and also let me know asap who is able to attend.

Hope to see ya there!

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have Huron-Manistee National Forests just above.Free dispersed primitive camping.

Scenic Driving
Choose from the following to find a site:

You must be registered for see images attach
Whether you are out for a Sunday drive, or traveling along River Road National Scenic Byway, the forest has many beautiful places to drive.

River Road National Scenic Byway
The twenty-two mile River Road National Scenic Byway extends westward from Lake Huron into the Huron National Forest. It parallels the historic Riviere aux Sable (River of Sand).

Byway travelers will find abundant recreation opportunities, from motorized trails for off-road vehicles and snowmobiles to quiet trails for hiking and cross-country skiing. Camping, fishing and boating facilities are accessible from the byway. For a more relaxed experience, visitors will enjoy the lush forest and breathtaking vistas from the many scenic overlooks along the route. Visitwww.byways.org for more information.

Jack Pine Wildlife Viewing Tour
The Jack Pine Wildlife Viewing Tour is a self-guided, 58-mile auto-tour through jack pine ecosystems that are home to a variety of wildlife, including the endangered Kirtland's warbler. The tour is marked with signs that display an image of the Kirtland's warbler and the watchable wildlife symbol. Along the route are also opportunities to stop at one of the many recreation sites available to access the Au Sable River.

Both the guided and self-guided driving tour are available that will take visitors through various stages of Kirtlands warbler habitat.

There are many areas across the forest that are a part of Michigans history. Several of these sites either have education programs or interpretive displays to provide visitors with information on an areas role in the history of Michigan. Staff and volunteer guided walks and activities provide visitors the opportunity to question an expert about the teeming wildlife found on the National Forests.

Kirtlands warbler Tours

Both a guided and self-guided driving tour are available that will take visitors through various stages of Kirtlands warbler habitat.

Lumberman's Monument Visitor Center

Lumberman’s Monument Visitor Center interprets the area’s colorful lumbering past. The 14-foot Lumberman’s Monument stands on a high bank with the Au Sable River providing a scenic backdrop.
Learn about the industry that helped develop northern Michigan and the men who cut the timber that helped build a nation. Climb through a log jam, use a peavey, cut a wooden cookie with a cross-cut saw, and learn about the life of a lumberjack through video and displays. Hike the stairway down to the wanigan, a loggers floating kitchen, or take the short trail to the dune observation deck. Enjoy a Kid’s Day program or take a guided nature hike. A schedule of events is posted on the website every spring.

Loda Lake National Wildflower Sanctuary

There are many places on the National Forests to view native plant species and enjoy their beauty. Visitors looking to see the stationary scenary of native plants can take a walk around Loda Lake to "Witness the Wonder of Wildflowers". There are over 238 plant species in the only designated wildflower sanctuary in the National Forest Service. Docent led walks are available at the Loda Lake Wildflower Sanctuary. Call the Baldwin Ranger District for more information: 231-745-4631.

If you are hosting a program and would like the Forest Service to participate call the Supervisor's Office at 231-775-2421.

Huron-Manistee National Forests - Home - Forest Service - USDA

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Yes there are lots of options for traveling around in MI, if you are able to spend some time. But this weekend rally is more about hanging out with friends around the fire with a few beverages telling stories.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice having wifi and electric sometimes too.I got a kick out of Michigan this past winter.It was the only state that reminded me so much of Maine.I went up in the woods somewhere where they had a "plowed out" free primitive camping along a river or a pond.I'm glad I had the old beater car,rather than the current one lol.The road in was more just driven on than plowed.I got in and out without chaining up,though it was hairy.Late into the evening,7 or 8pm.I was of course the only fool in there winter camping.:D
Great woods.Reminded me of home.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online